The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 02:05:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 01:45:45 PM
Depends on the results :P

:lol:

Here's their take on the current imbroglio: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1958

Without clicking the link, I'm figuring you wouldn't post something that's good news for the GOP, and therefore it's all partisan shillery.

Okay, I clicked it.  Confirmed :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2013, 10:17:10 AMWhen I saw the fallout and that all essential workers and programs would continue to be paid/funded, I had to wonder: shouldn't everything the government does be essential, and shouldn't it not be doing anything beyond that? :hmm: :sleep:

Probably...though I would have to see a list of what is considered 'essential' and what isn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on October 01, 2013, 02:21:19 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2013, 10:17:10 AMWhen I saw the fallout and that all essential workers and programs would continue to be paid/funded, I had to wonder: shouldn't everything the government does be essential, and shouldn't it not be doing anything beyond that? :hmm: :sleep:

Probably...though I would have to see a list of what is considered 'essential' and what isn't.

I am essential. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 02:12:16 PM
Without clicking the link, I'm figuring you wouldn't post something that's good news for the GOP, and therefore it's all partisan shillery.

Honest question: do you think the current situation is going to help or hurt Republicans?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 02:35:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 02:12:16 PM

Honest question: do you think the current situation is going to help or hurt Republicans?

As I mentioned 4 pages ago ( :P ) it will probably work against them.  But they're kind of damned if they do, damned if they don't here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Why damned if they don't?

Or do, whichever one is closing the gubmint.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 02:47:16 PM
Why damned if they don't?

Or do, whichever one is closing the gubmint.

If they had let Obamacare funding go through without a fight, they'd have pissed off a lot of their base and would have had their fingerprints on Obamacare (they voted to fund it!) later on when the ill-effects become even more pronounced.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 02:50:35 PM
If they had let Obamacare funding go through without a fight, they'd have pissed off a lot of their base and would have had their fingerprints on Obamacare (they voted to fund it!) later on when the ill-effects become even more pronounced.

One kook who stays home from the polls in protest is one vote lost.  One swing voter who switches his vote is two votes lost.

merithyn

:mellow:

Why are you just ignoring the fact that most people don't want Obamacare repealed?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 01, 2013, 02:57:18 PM

:mellow:

Why are you just ignoring the fact that most people don't want Obamacare repealed?

See, that cuts both ways.  It's fair to say most people don't want Obamacare repealed, but it's just as accurate to say most people don't want Obamacare implemented as it was written.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 02:55:41 PM

One kook who stays home from the polls in protest is one vote lost.  One swing voter who switches his vote is two votes lost.

Sure.  Swing voters sometimes stay home as well, though.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 02:55:41 PMOne kook who stays home from the polls in protest is one vote lost.  One swing voter who switches his vote is two votes lost.

The theory I've seen advanced on the more leftists side of the spectrum is that the lucrative think-tank, PAC, and Conservative media circuit combined with heavily gerrymandered safe seats where the only risk is a primary challenge from the right, the incentives for most GOP representatives are to continue the rightward drift and ignore swing voters.

What do you think? Does it make sense or not?