The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 11:19:04 AM
You stated having a majority in the house doesn't require bi-partisan support, I brought up to situations where it would.  As it stands one Republican in the house did vote for the bill.

No I didn't.  I stated Obamacare didn't require bipartisan support.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 11:10:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2013, 11:09:47 AM
as grumbler mentioned, AFAIK, not only the USA healthcare was pretty far from any kind of proper welfare system (which is fine), but it managed to not be a welfare system by costing more than a proper working welfare system. Now that is some fucked up shit, so throwing their regular "omg we have a black prez, teh horror!" tantrum translated to a healthcare one is a bad idea.

I'm so glad we have you to cut through the bullshit and provide clear insight into the American political system.

My secretary will e-mail you the invoice of the consultancy fees.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2013, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 11:10:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2013, 11:09:47 AM
as grumbler mentioned, AFAIK, not only the USA healthcare was pretty far from any kind of proper welfare system (which is fine), but it managed to not be a welfare system by costing more than a proper working welfare system. Now that is some fucked up shit, so throwing their regular "omg we have a black prez, teh horror!" tantrum translated to a healthcare one is a bad idea.

I'm so glad we have you to cut through the bullshit and provide clear insight into the American political system.

My secretary will e-mail you the invoice of the consultancy fees.

And my personal assistant will make sure to process it. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

I find it interesting that your labor laws allow the government to just not pay its employees anymore when it suits current policy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 11:34:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 11:19:04 AM
You stated having a majority in the house doesn't require bi-partisan support, I brought up to situations where it would.  As it stands one Republican in the house did vote for the bill.

No I didn't.  I stated Obamacare didn't require bipartisan support.

I was under the impression you said

Obamacare became law before the first midterm, when Democrats controlled the House.

I pointed out that doesn't actually contradict what she said.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on October 01, 2013, 11:48:29 AM
I find it interesting that your labor laws allow the government to just not pay its employees anymore when it suits current policy.

Lulz, "labor laws".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

What's the perception of bias regarding Quinnipiac polling? Are they seen as fairly reputable, or are they dismissed as partisan shills?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2013, 01:34:41 PM
What's the perception of bias regarding Quinnipiac polling? Are they seen as fairly reputable, or are they dismissed as partisan shills?

In this instance, I would be more interested in polling among constituents of these House Republicans. That people in general don't like what they are doing isn't particularly useful as that isn't what will drive them to change course.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.