The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 10:50:35 AM
What planet are you on, Meri?  Public opinion polls do not show that most people want Obamacare.

http://kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/kaiser-health-tracking-poll-september-2013/

38% of those opposing Obamacare believe it has death panels.  20% more are unsure.  You must be so proud!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 01, 2013, 10:39:36 AM
And the FDA doesn't count as 'essential' but I'd guess most people agree that it's important.

But still terrible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 10:55:57 AM
That doesn't actually contradict what she said.

Yes it does.  It didn't require bipartisan support.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 01, 2013, 10:46:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2013, 10:39:36 AM
There's a question of the best way to go about doing that.  Plus there's the issue of Obamacare being much harder to turn back once it's been in place for a period of time.  I don't honestly know what the best strategy is for the GOP-- every one I can think of has serious negatives.

The thing is that the last presidential election was essentially "Should we repeal Obamacare?" If so, vote in Romney.

I don't think that's accurate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

as grumbler mentioned, AFAIK, not only the USA healthcare was pretty far from any kind of proper welfare system (which is fine), but it managed to not be a welfare system by costing more than a proper working welfare system. Now that is some fucked up shit, so throwing their regular "omg we have a black prez, teh horror!" tantrum translated to a healthcare one is a bad idea.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 11:05:11 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 10:55:57 AM
That doesn't actually contradict what she said.

Yes it does.  It didn't require bipartisan support.

No, it can still require bipartisan support.  If for instance a bill has bipartisan opposition, and there is the need to overcome filibuster.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 01, 2013, 11:07:38 AM
Hell, even only 51% of Republicans are for repealing the law according to the poll I posted.

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/theapothecary/files/2013/09/Morning-consult-2013-09b.png

I think my opinion is to keep it as I've seen no evidence it would be better to go back to the drawing board. I'd rather energy be spent on changing it from within.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 01, 2013, 11:09:47 AM
as grumbler mentioned, AFAIK, not only the USA healthcare was pretty far from any kind of proper welfare system (which is fine), but it managed to not be a welfare system by costing more than a proper working welfare system. Now that is some fucked up shit, so throwing their regular "omg we have a black prez, teh horror!" tantrum translated to a healthcare one is a bad idea.

I'm so glad we have you to cut through the bullshit and provide clear insight into the American political system.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 11:09:51 AM
No, it can still require bipartisan support.  If for instance a bill has bipartisan opposition, and there is the need to overcome filibuster.

What's with the present tense Raz.  We're talking about something that already happened.  :huh:

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 11:10:04 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 01, 2013, 11:07:38 AM
Hell, even only 51% of Republicans are for repealing the law according to the poll I posted.

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/theapothecary/files/2013/09/Morning-consult-2013-09b.png

I think my opinion is to keep it as I've seen no evidence it would be better to go back to the drawing board. I'd rather energy be spent on changing it from within.
Yeah, I agree with this.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 11:10:04 AM

That's how MOST people feel. Which is why I'm so damn confused by what the Republicans are trying to do.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

:hmm: It shouldn't be confusing to anyone... in fact I think it's abundantly clear that this is just political grandstanding.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2013, 11:11:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2013, 11:09:51 AM

What's with the present tense Raz.  We're talking about something that already happened.  :huh:

You stated having a majority in the house doesn't require bi-partisan support, I brought up to situations where it would.  As it stands one Republican in the house did vote for the bill.

Jacob

Quote from: Caliga on October 01, 2013, 11:17:47 AM
:hmm: It shouldn't be confusing to anyone... in fact I think it's abundantly clear that this is just political grandstanding.

Lets hope they don't bust the debt ceiling over it :)