Court ruling fires British debate on Muslim veils

Started by garbon, September 16, 2013, 12:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Monkeybutt's sex party: Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and the Bat.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 01:51:30 PM
Does Yookay have the right to not self-incriminate?  If so this judgement seems pretty moot.
It was moot in the UK use of the word :lol:

From reading the judgement the issue came up when he asked her to remove the niqab for identification. But the court decided on a wider point of defendants in niqabs. The goal was to establish a definitive ruling for this trial but also one that could be used by lower courts until it's taken to the High Court, rather than wasting time (and money) arguing the point at each trial - as I say this isn't the first time this has come up, but I think it's the first time a judge has tried to rule definitively.

QuoteSo he seems to imply that in the UK, the manifestation of religious belief is NOT equal in status to the right to a fair trial.
Manifestation of religious belief is a qualified right under the ECHR. It can be limited.

The ECHR has a number of absolute rights - to belief, to not be tortured - and then qualified rights - to privacy and family life, to manifestations of belief.

Given the importance of European law in human rights the principle of proportionality is pretty key. However even prior to the Human Rights Act the courts tended to place a lot of weight on access to justice and right to a fair trial as part of the rule of law.

QuoteThis judge says that, despite the very recency of the conversion, he declined to make any inquiry as to the authenticity of her belief.  Which I think went to the ruling he ultimately wanted to make.
I think he was right though. As he says it would be unseemly and very subjective for a secular court to be establishing the sincerity of someone's belief and could easily as he put it 'smack of religious inquisition' or turn into a 'no true Scotsman' conversation.

I think the directions the judge gives are pretty reasonable:
Quote(1) The defendant must comply with all directions given by the Court to enable her to be properly identified at any stage of the proceedings.
(2) The defendant is free to wear the niqaab during trial, except while giving evidence.
(3) The defendant may not give evidence wearing the niqaab.
(4) The defendant may give evidence from behind a screen shielding her from public view, but not from the view of the judge, the jury, and counsel; or by mean of a live TV link.
(5) Photographs and filming are never permitted in court. But in this case, I also order that no drawing, sketch or other image of any kind of the defendant while her face is uncovered be made in court, or disseminated, or published outside court
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

All of the,admittedly few niqab wearing women I've spoken about this subject have said adopting/wearing it was a conscious political statement.

My guess as to their background would be an even 50-50% between British Asian muslims and British afro-Caribbean young women who've converted to Islam. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 05:36:22 PM
Which is?
Arguable, open to debate, doubtful - a point that hasn't been settled (or perhaps can't be). My understanding of the American meaning is that it's hypothetical, academic, almost theoretical - it may be arguable but it's practically irrelevant.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2013, 05:08:32 PM
Monkeybutt's sex party: Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, and the Bat.

Violates the prime directive. Too much cock.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on September 16, 2013, 06:35:34 PM
I wanted to make a Venture Bros. reference.

Sorry. The mere thought of another penis in the area makes me ill. Barf.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 16, 2013, 06:42:42 PM

Just picture tinman and cowardly lion as really hot chicks on some of those "sexy halloween" costumes :)

Admiral Yi

Don't see how you sex up tinman.  He's a metal tube.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 06:46:44 PM

A woman or gay man might find that appealing, though he' probably a bit too large for most.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2013, 06:45:25 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 16, 2013, 06:42:42 PM

Just picture tinman and cowardly lion as really hot chicks on some of those "sexy halloween" costumes :)

That sounds dangerously homosexual.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 16, 2013, 06:46:44 PM

Same way as you sex up any other costume for halloween. Lots of bare flesh and a few items from the following list: knee high stockings, body hugging clothes, short skirt, short shorts, extra support for the boobs etc...