News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shooter at Washington Navy Yard kills 12

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2013, 07:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote(Newser) – The FBI has identified the alleged shooter responsible for today's Washington Navy Yard shooting as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old from Fort Worth Texas, the Washington Post reports. At the same press conference, officials confirmed the death toll in the shooting has risen to 13—including Alexis. Alexis served four years in the Navy as a full-time reservist, and was discharged in 2011. Sources tell the AP that Alexis has a criminal record—CBS reports that he was arrested in 2010 for discharging a firearm in public—but nonetheless has a concealed carry permit in Texas. During the shooting, he was allegedly carrying a semiautomatic 9 mm pistol and an AR-15 assault rifle, reports NBC Washington.

Authorities are investigating whether Alexis was working as a defense contractor or a civilian employee of the Navy, and whether he was assigned to the navy yard, reports the Post, but authorities believe he got into the naval yard using someone else's ID card. CBS reports that the ID belonged to one Rollie Chance, who has been on administrative leave since October. Chance says he does not know Alexis. Meanwhile, police are still searching for a second possible suspect in the shooting, described as a black man between 40 and 50, wearing an olive drab and armed with a "long gun", reports NBC Washington.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on September 16, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
(Newser) – The FBI has identified the alleged shooter responsible for today's Washington Navy Yard shooting as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old from Fort Worth Texas, the Washington Post reports. At the same press conference, officials confirmed the death toll in the shooting has risen to 13—including Alexis. Alexis served four years in the Navy as a full-time reservist, and was discharged in 2011. Sources tell the AP that Alexis has a criminal record—CBS reports that he was arrested in 2010 for discharging a firearm in public—but nonetheless has a concealed carry permit in Texas. During the shooting, he was allegedly carrying a semiautomatic 9 mm pistol and an AR-15 assault rifle, reports NBC Washington.

Texas :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The DC chief of police is a white chick.  By 250 pound dyke standards she looked pretty good.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 16, 2013, 05:29:50 PM
(Newser) – The FBI has identified the alleged shooter responsible for today's Washington Navy Yard shooting as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old from Fort Worth Texas, the Washington Post reports. At the same press conference, officials confirmed the death toll in the shooting has risen to 13—including Alexis. Alexis served four years in the Navy as a full-time reservist, and was discharged in 2011. Sources tell the AP that Alexis has a criminal record—CBS reports that he was arrested in 2010 for discharging a firearm in public—but nonetheless has a concealed carry permit in Texas. During the shooting, he was allegedly carrying a semiautomatic 9 mm pistol and an AR-15 assault rifle, reports NBC Washington.

Texas :rolleyes:

According to the law, he held the CHL illegally then, assuming he was convicted of the public discharge.  The article only says he as arrested.

Scipio

Quote(Newser) – The FBI has identified the alleged shooter responsible for today's Washington Navy Yard shooting as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old from Fort Worth Texas, the Washington Post reports. At the same press conference, officials confirmed the death toll in the shooting has risen to 13—including Alexis. Alexis served four years in the Navy as a full-time reservist, and was discharged in 2011. Sources tell the AP that Alexis has a criminal record—CBS reports that he was arrested in 2010 for discharging a firearm in public—but nonetheless has a concealed carry permit in Texas. During the shooting, he was allegedly carrying a semiautomatic 9 mm pistol and an AR-15 assault rifle, reports NBC Washington.

Authorities are investigating whether Alexis was working as a defense contractor or a civilian employee of the Navy, and whether he was assigned to the navy yard, reports the Post, but authorities believe he got into the naval yard using someone else's ID card. CBS reports that the ID belonged to one Rollie Chance, who has been on administrative leave since October. Chance says he does not know Alexis. Meanwhile, police are still searching for a second possible suspect in the shooting, described as a black man between 40 and 50, wearing an olive drab and armed with a "long gun", reports NBC Washington.
Not convicted, thus, don't count.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

Isn't is standard practice for Texans to discharge two guns into the air simultaneously at any and all occasions?

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2013, 05:50:57 PM
Isn't is standard practice for Texans to discharge two guns into the air simultaneously at any and all occasions?

While hopping.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 16, 2013, 06:06:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2013, 05:50:57 PM

While hopping.

On their vaginas.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Reports of 'shots' heard near the White House.

edit:
BREAKING | Reuters news agency reports agents telling  White House bystanders to go inside after reports of shots heard. More soon.

edit2:
BREAKING | White House locked down after man set off firecrackers, hours after gun massacre at a US naval base in Washington. More soon.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2013, 06:07:56 PM
Reports of 'shots' heard near the White House.

edit:
BREAKING | Reuters news agency reports agents telling  White House bystanders to go inside after reports of shots heard. More soon.

edit2:
BREAKING | White House locked down after man set off firecrackers, hours after gun massacre at a US naval base in Washington. More soon.

'murica. Fuck yeah.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

In addition to being a former Navy reservist, Secretary of Navy says shooter may have been a defense contractor working for the Navy in information technology.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/live-updates-from-washington-navy-yard-shootings/#suspect-was-a-navy-contractor-navy-secretary-says

Ideologue

So not former cop who worked in information security?  Good news.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: Scipio on September 16, 2013, 05:43:21 PM

Not convicted, thus, don't count.

From what I've read, he was never even charged with anything.  He told the cops that his gun had accidentally discharged while he was cleaning it, and I guess there wasn't enough evidence to the contrary to pursue the matter any further.

Admiral Yi

9.5 quatloos says Rollie Chance is going down.