Five Letters, Three the Same, Both Begin With an S.

Started by mongers, September 13, 2013, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 08:12:01 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 13, 2013, 08:05:00 PM

That would make Libya almost perfectly analogous to the Spanish Civil War (if Orwell is anything to go by.)

Did you not see the coverage of the 'war' the Libyan rebels were staggeringly inept, save perhaps for those besieged in Misurata. NATO essentially one the war for them.

Yes, have you read "Homage to Catalonia?"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 08:12:01 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 13, 2013, 08:05:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 08:02:08 PM

I'm not really sure what happened in Libya could be described as a civil war, both sides were so inept, it's a wonder they ever managed to find each other. 

That would make Libya almost perfectly analogous to the Spanish Civil War (if Orwell is anything to go by.)

Did you not see the coverage of the 'war' the Libyan rebels were staggeringly inept, save perhaps for those besieged in Misurata. NATO essentially one the war for them.

The Spanish army was remarkably inept during the Spanish Civil War.  The only good units were the colonial ones.  The Moors and the Foreign Legion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

I can't figure out who are the good guys. So the analogy bears out at least that far.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2013, 08:59:56 PM
I can't figure out who are the good guys. So the analogy bears out at least that far.

Really?  You couldn't figure out who the good guys were in Spain?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2013, 09:01:11 PM

We'll never know unless Tim writes an alt-hist about what the republicans would have done in power.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2013, 09:03:01 PM

We'll never know unless Tim writes an alt-hist about what the republicans would have done in power.  :P

Maybe they would have joined the Allies after Barbarossa...subsequently conquored by Germany, Gibralter also falls.  Hitler's armies of darkness march all over the face of the earth.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 13, 2013, 09:10:24 PM
Maybe they would have joined the Allies after Barbarossa...subsequently conquored by Germany, Gibralter also falls.  Hitler's armies of darkness march all over the face of the earth.

Nonsense.  They sit out the war, rebuilding their nation through progressive land reform, wealth redistribution and other wholly benevolent and morally righteous works.

Razgovory

So Tim, are you less skeptical about the National Review thing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2013, 07:30:07 PM

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1798&dat=19730117&id=lx8fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=J40EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5234,3618495  The author Jeffery Hart writes a similar article in this news paper and refers to how he brought up the subject in the National Review a little earlier.  I do not have access to National Review archives, but his article on the 5th of January was called "The Great Guernica Fraud', so I imagine it was similar to this news paper article.

National Review was also in favor of segregation, but I'll let you find that one.
He argues that the bombing of Guernica was militarily justified. That's different from what you implied.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2013, 11:30:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2013, 07:30:07 PM

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1798&dat=19730117&id=lx8fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=J40EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5234,3618495  The author Jeffery Hart writes a similar article in this news paper and refers to how he brought up the subject in the National Review a little earlier.  I do not have access to National Review archives, but his article on the 5th of January was called "The Great Guernica Fraud', so I imagine it was similar to this news paper article.

National Review was also in favor of segregation, but I'll let you find that one.
He argues that the bombing of Guernica was militarily justified. That's different from what you implied.

Try again.  He's saying that Nationalists only bombed the outskirts hitting the rails and road junctions, and the city was actually destroyed by the evil republicans for propaganda.

Ed Anger

Franco.  :)

Speaking of fruits, Seefor got on my case once for me mentioning a wargame called Arriba Espana! He was in one of his leftist phases.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Archy

Another point of similarity are the international brigades. just like in the thirties people leave Belgium to fight in Syria, even schoolkids.