Five Letters, Three the Same, Both Begin With an S.

Started by mongers, September 13, 2013, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 04:02:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 03:55:07 PM
Me, I want to see an international peace conference, with all parties forcible brought to the table.

:huh: How do you propose to do that?  And what do you expect it to achieve?

Heck, do we even know who all the parties are?  I doubt it.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 03:43:53 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 13, 2013, 03:40:10 PM
Where is today's Guernica and Hemingway? :)

Plenty of Guernicas.

Biggest difference is that this one does not split the rest of the world into two competing ideological camps.

Biggest similarity is that both sides are unpleasant.
I don't know, I do think we have a split developing.  One side is for democracy, another side is for authoritarianism.

Viking

Quote from: Phillip V on September 13, 2013, 03:55:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 03:44:58 PM
Haven't you been watching the coverage, there are now some pretty thoroughly flattened town in Syria.  Not sure if any have been devastated in one go, but there do appear to have been plenty of bombing/artillery strikes that have killed around a hundred in one go. 

Someone needs to paint it.

I agree, somebody needs to paint the targets with laser designators

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2013, 04:07:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 03:43:53 PM

Plenty of Guernicas.

Biggest difference is that this one does not split the rest of the world into two competing ideological camps.

Biggest similarity is that both sides are unpleasant.
I don't know, I do think we have a split developing.  One side is for democracy, another side is for authoritarianism.

No. Neither side is for democracy. There were democrats early on and we didn't help them, they got killed or sold their souls to the crazies. The same happened in spain, we didn't help the democrats and they got killed or compromised when the crazies helped got help from fascists and crazies.

The best chance to help has already passed, it passed some time ago, before Obama even used the words "Red Line" for the first time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2013, 04:02:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 03:55:07 PM
Me, I want to see an international peace conference, with all parties forcible brought to the table.

:huh: How do you propose to do that?  And what do you expect it to achieve?

Hey Obama hasn't outlined his military strategy yet, so I get to keep my cards close to my chest (nothing to do with the chance that it's not fully thought out yet). 

Peace.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Regardless of where you hold them, everyone can tell you've got 7-2 unsuited.

Razgovory

The Bombing of Guernica is a leftist myth.  The National Review said so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 13, 2013, 07:05:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2013, 06:26:53 PM

The Bombing of Guernica is a leftist myth.  The National Review said so.
:yeahright: Link me

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1798&dat=19730117&id=lx8fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=J40EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5234,3618495  The author Jeffery Hart writes a similar article in this news paper and refers to how he brought up the subject in the National Review a little earlier.  I do not have access to National Review archives, but his article on the 5th of January was called "The Great Guernica Fraud', so I imagine it was similar to this news paper article.

National Review was also in favor of segregation, but I'll let you find that one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Recently I was wondering if the Syrian Civil War would make a better consim than the Libyan Civil War or vice versa. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on September 13, 2013, 07:54:04 PM
Recently I was wondering if the Syrian Civil War would make a better consim than the Libyan Civil War or vice versa. :hmm:

I'm not really sure what happened in Libya could be described as a civil war, both sides were so inept, it's a wonder they ever managed to find each other.  I guess the long relative straight line in the desert helped a lot.   

A large part of the significant military killing was actually carried out be NATO air resources. 

I'd classify Libya as much close to the Cuban civil war than the growing bloodbath of Syria. 

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 08:02:08 PM

I'm not really sure what happened in Libya could be described as a civil war, both sides were so inept, it's a wonder they ever managed to find each other. 

That would make Libya almost perfectly analogous to the Spanish Civil War (if Orwell is anything to go by.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on September 13, 2013, 08:05:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 08:02:08 PM

I'm not really sure what happened in Libya could be described as a civil war, both sides were so inept, it's a wonder they ever managed to find each other. 

That would make Libya almost perfectly analogous to the Spanish Civil War (if Orwell is anything to go by.)

Did you not see the coverage of the 'war' the Libyan rebels were staggeringly inept, save perhaps for those besieged in Misurata. NATO essentially one the war for them. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 05:06:23 PM
Hey Obama hasn't outlined his military strategy yet, so I get to keep my cards close to my chest (nothing to do with the chance that it's not fully thought out yet). 

Peace.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/national_security_strategy.pdf

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2013, 03:36:27 PM
So the Syrian civil war has been going on for while now, so can we yet compare it to the Spanish Civil War ?

Honestly, I don't think it's that romantic.