How has Languish influenced you personally

Started by merithyn, September 13, 2013, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I was thinking about how many lawyers we have here now - and how many are relatively recent graduates. It occurred to me that there are probably a few who were influenced by The Cabal(tm) here on Languish to consider law school. I know there are a few who were influenced by other Languishites to move to Asia to teach, and even a few who went back to school for other things due to some discussions here.

In the nearly nine years that I've been on Languish, I know that it's influenced me in a number of ways. I rarely take headlines to heart anymore (though I still have my moments), and even some news articles have to be fact-checked before I take what they say as some semblence of truth. I am looking at a new career that I learned about here, and I have a better idea of how to be better at the job than the average person by listening to what you all have said about it.

What about you? How has Languished influenced you in the time that you've been here.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

I was always incredibly petty and vain, but now I am also resentful and bitter.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Not just Languish, but all forums: I have given up on debating on the internet.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 13, 2013, 11:45:51 AM
Not just Languish, but all forums: I have given up on debating on the internet.

This. Though I think I've mellowed out a fair bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

I think the main effect it's had on me is that I've spent time goofing off here that could have  been spent more productively--if you consider playing EU 2 and later EU3 as "more productive".  :)

Admiral Yi

It has exposed me to a wider range of confrontation and antagonism.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on September 13, 2013, 11:45:47 AM
I was resentful and bitter, but now I'm petty. 
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Kinda hard to separate effects of Languish from effects of age.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

DGuller

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 13, 2013, 12:13:04 PM

Growing old sucks. These days it takes me several years to have sex 50 times with a teenager.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on September 13, 2013, 12:16:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 13, 2013, 12:13:04 PM

Growing old sucks. These days it takes me several years to have sex 50 times with a teenager.
The shepherds got wise?  :console:

Valmy

It has exposed me to some pretty brilliant people and gotten me to think more on my own preconceived notions.  It has also exposed me to horrible people which has gotten me to think more on how much I value humanity.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2013, 12:17:44 PM
It has exposed me to some pretty brilliant people and gotten me to think more on my own preconceived notions.
:hug:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall