News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare couple from hell

Started by merithyn, September 07, 2013, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 09, 2013, 12:51:12 PM
A non-compete for $8/hr wait staff?  I don't think so.

These terms do seem designed to turn away all except the most desperately unemployable or illiterate.
I saw an interview with a waitress they fired (she got fired on air during Gordon's show) and she said she signed their earlier contract without even reading it because she thought that's "what you're just supposed to do."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2013, 04:21:09 PM

These terms do seem designed to turn away all except the most desperately unemployable or illiterate.
I saw an interview with a waitress they fired (she got fired on air during Gordon's show) and she said she signed their earlier contract without even reading it because she thought that's "what you're just supposed to do."

$8/h brains are precious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

... and now her old employers are following her around with injunctions to enforce the non-compete clause ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

That was hilarious.  They quite literally fired her for no reason at all.  She was given an instruction, she asked for clarification, and then she was fired for 'having an attitude'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Yeah, they'd almost definitely be unenforceable.  What I've read from AZ lawyers on the issue is that there's no bright-line test; judges have to way how reasonable or unreasonable the non-compete is, and AZ judges would almost never enforce a non-compete that completely locks out an entire sector of work.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Which is exactly what most people do when they sign contracts.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2013, 08:20:21 PM

Which is exactly what most people do when they sign contracts.

To be fair she was a kid, probably still in school.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2013, 07:58:22 PM
That was hilarious.  They quite literally fired her for no reason at all.  She was given an instruction, she asked for clarification, and then she was fired for 'having an attitude'.
Supposedly it was the "way she asked"... but yeah.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2013, 08:29:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2013, 07:58:22 PM
Supposedly it was the "way she asked"... but yeah.

Bet you know all about that.

merithyn

She may have signed it, but she also ignored it. She had a couple of threads on Reddit. She was already working at another restaurant at the same time as she was working at Amy's Bakery, so when she got fired, she wasn't too concerned. She was new to Scotsdale, and had no idea what was "normal" for that area.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...