News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Kiss For Luck

Started by Savonarola, September 09, 2013, 12:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

When I was my 20s I saw a movie called "Frozen" at the local art house.  It was set in the performance art community in China, where performance art is outlawed.  The director has a scene where a number of performance artists sit around, eat soap and then all start throwing up.  At that moment I finally understood the Great Gonzo.

I have a cousin who is a performance artist.  This past weekend my wife was talking to his mother at a wedding shower.  My aunt described, with a great deal of maternal pride, his latest piece.  He sat in a window in Midtown Manhattan and reduced a Chris-Craft down to shavings with handheld carving tools.  CB did her best to try to sound impressed, but asked me later "Why would you do such a thing?"

I told her it was New York, I saw a man do a choreographed ballet to the sound of a doorbell ringing when I was there.  Also I took it as that he was slowly reducing an object down to it's elements.  She seemed much happier with that explanation.

Here he is at his work:

He had to go through strength training for four months in order to have the strength and endurance to do that.  Here's the boat about midway through:

He's done now, the work finished in mid-August.  The introduction on his website is comically overwritten:

http://open-source-gallery.org/james-leonard-a-kiss-for-luck/

QuoteUnmoored from the heavy cynicism endemic to his generation, Leonard's work is both displaced in time and a displacement of time. "A Kiss For Luck" channels the rigorous discipline-object of a thorough contemporary performance work into a sly poetics of erosion all his own. Simultaneously mournful and transcendent, Leonard's inevitable, intimate annihilation of a wooden boat, taking place at the height of summer sweltering season, serves both as a long quiet moment of collective solitude and the fevered zenith of a clarion call. Possessing an earnestness rare and a simplicity exquisite, "A Kiss For Luck" delivers a heraldic gesture for a new age on a damaged planet.

Personally I think this is foolishness, and a profound artistic statement like the one above turns a moderately foolish task into a profoundly foolish one.  I'm sure there are people here who do appreciate performance art more than I do, and I'd be interested in what they have to say.  (I'm also sure that those who appreciate it less will also have something entertaining to say...)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Mimes need to be curb stomped.

Berkut

When do we get to the punchline?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2013, 12:06:30 PM

Mimes should be seen and not heard.   

garbon

I appreciate performance art but have nothing profound to say. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

I like the concept of performance art, but I've yet to see any that actually ... makes sense to me. I want to like it, but... yeah... not so much.  :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

frunk

The problem with performance art is that either what they are doing is self-explanatory, in which case it's just art (like music or dance), or it requires explication, in which case the explanation is more important than the performance.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on September 09, 2013, 01:04:46 PM
The problem with performance art is that either what they are doing is self-explanatory, in which case it's just art (like music or dance), or it requires explication, in which case the explanation is more important than the performance.

Or they could be viewed as equally important or neither as particularly important.

Also, there are certainly performances that are clear to one audience that are not clear to other audiences.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on September 09, 2013, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2013, 12:06:30 PM

Mimes should be seen and not heard. 

Mimes should be obscene but not absurd.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

I find that whenever a work of art requires an explanation I hate it.  In part it's because artistic statements are written in  an abominable style; but also I think that it indicates a shortcoming on the part of the work.  TS Eliot wrote that "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood," I think that applies to all art.  If it needs to be understood before it can communicate then it's not good.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

See, if I were to do something like this, they would up my meds or make me stay in the hospital for a week or so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on September 09, 2013, 06:53:48 PM

I find that whenever a work of art requires an explanation I hate it.  In part it's because artistic statements are written in  an abominable style; but also I think that it indicates a shortcoming on the part of the work.  TS Eliot wrote that "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood," I think that applies to all art.  If it needs to be understood before it can communicate then it's not good.

Maybe but as I said in my post - an artist can't/won't/shouldn't anticipate every audience, so it can't be guaranteed that everyone will understand.

I also, in many cases, think that if a work feels completely impenetrable, it is often the fault of the gallery/museum/displayers for not providing sufficient context.