News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare couple from hell

Started by merithyn, September 07, 2013, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

I've always thought if I felt like starting my own restaurant I'd go down to the bank, withdraw all my liquid assets and burn the cash in a big bonfire instead,.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2013, 07:36:11 AM
IIRC that's not her real name and they're both ex-cons.

He's also now in trouble with immigration because he lied on his application about the convictions he had in Europe. :D

This couple is totally a piece of work.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 08, 2013, 11:00:43 AM
The way you can discipline employees who are low wage, and some companies do this, is unpaid suspensions. That basically denies you hours, and denies you your wage.

Interesting.  Here that is not permitted unless there is express language in the contract of employment.  Ironically for Yi, such language is often found in collective bargaining agreements.  But since most non union employees do not have written contracts this would be a no no.

sbr

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2013, 05:33:07 PM
The way you can discipline employees who are low wage, and some companies do this, is unpaid suspensions. That basically denies you hours, and denies you your wage.

Interesting.  Here that is not permitted unless there is express language in the contract of employment.  Ironically for Yi, such language is often found in collective bargaining agreements.  But since most non union employees do not have written contracts this would be a no no.

There is no real way of stopping it.  Very few workers here have contracts, and nothing that guarantees the number of hours they will work.  If there is no place on the schedule for them what are they going to do?

mongers

Quote from: sbr on September 08, 2013, 05:37:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2013, 05:33:07 PM

There is no real way of stopping it.  Very few workers here have contracts, and nothing that guarantees the number of hours they will work.  If there is no place on the schedule for them what are they going to do?

Really, so those are in effect 'zero contracts' ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 08, 2013, 03:56:02 PM
I've always thought if I felt like starting my own restaurant I'd go down to the bank, withdraw all my liquid assets and burn the cash in a big bonfire instead,.
There is nothing wrong with it, as long as you realize that it's a hobby, not a business.  As far as hobbies go, it's not much worse than heroin or cocaine hobbies.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2013, 06:34:31 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 08, 2013, 03:56:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with it, as long as you realize that it's a hobby, not a business.  As far as hobbies go, it's not much worse than heroin or cocaine hobbies.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

The problems with chefs is that while they may be good at what they do, they often think that's enough to run a restaurant, when in fact they lack the entrepreneurial acumen to run a profitable business.

You can see it with craftsmen, too. Like the plumber who preferred sending himself to the client instead of an employee, "because he doesn't cost anything, whereas he has to pay the employee."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

The tip confiscation thing is a labor code violation, or at least it is in Ohio.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

You can withhold a paycheck for up to one year, however.  Now that's being a dick.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2013, 11:05:44 PM
You can withhold a paycheck for up to one year, however.  Now that's being a dick.

Do these people strike you as caring if they're being dicks or not?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

We're exploring ways to punish employees. That's one of the ways.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney