News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Toy helicopter lops top of man’s head off

Started by garbon, September 06, 2013, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://nypost.com/2013/09/05/man-decapitated-by-remote-controlled-toy-helicopter/

QuoteQueens teenager's obsession with high-powered model helicopters ended in gruesome death yesterday, when one of his beloved toy whirlybirds spun out of control in a Brooklyn park and scalped him, sources said.

Roman Pirozek, 19, — a chopper aficionado who bragged about his exploits on YouTube — was piloting the small machine at Calvert Vaux Park in Gravesend at around 3:40 p.m., when something went horribly wrong, cops said.

The toy aircraft turned toward the teen as he tried to pull off an unusual stunt. It hit him at high speed with the rotors spinning into his head and taking out "good chunk," law enforcement sources said.

A handful of his friends watched in horror.

"I was playing at the park and we came into the clearing and we just saw a body on the floor," said Maria Delgado, 13. "He was just decapitated — the whole top of his head was gone,"

Pirozek was pronounced dead at the scene, the FDNY said.

The park, on Shore Parkway near Bay 44th Street, is a sanctioned flying field by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and popular spot for model flyer aficionados.

"I saw Roman this morning putting his helicopter [into] the station wagon, he seemed happy," said neighbor Victor Tommaso, 68. "He would travel with it and he's a real professional. He grew up flying [model] planes with his dad. Flying a helicopter was his passion. He grew up loving those planes."

Pirozek was a member of the Seaview Rotary Wings club, whose members regularly fly planes at the park.

At their Woodhaven, Queens home, his family broke down in tears while talking of the loss.

"He was the best brother, he had the biggest heart," sobbed his sister, Amy Pirozek. "I know today he went out flying by himself, it was his day off. He always protected me and was a good brother."

The avid flyer had his own YouTube channel featuring many videos of his flights.

In April, he wrote on his channel page that his new blades "feel more stable and can handle the sudden and harsh maneuvers very well, and they are also very agile and smooth."

Just last month he posted that he was "loving" his Trex 700N model — "one of the best nitros that I have ever flown with so much power."

One helicopter he features on his YouTube page retails for over $1,000.

City Council member Dominic Recchia, who represents the 47th District, came out to the park to urge the Parks Department to put a moratorium on flying model aircraft until an investigation into the cause of death is completed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

QuoteCity Council member Dominic Recchia, who represents the 47th District, came out to the park to urge the Parks Department to put a moratorium on flying model aircraft until an investigation into the cause of death is completed.

You can always count on some dumbass politician to contribute nothing at all to the issue.

Yeah, lets spend a bunch of money investigating what went wrong. Whatever could it be?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

That article is awful. Yes, let's mock the kid for having a really cool hobby. Let's really mock the fact that he had a horrible accident while doing the hobby that killed him.

QuoteQueens teenager's obsession with high-powered model helicopters ended in gruesome death yesterday, when one of his beloved toy whirlybirds spun out of control in a Brooklyn park and scalped him, sources said.

Roman Pirozek, 19, — a chopper aficionado who bragged about his exploits on YouTube — was piloting the small machine at Calvert Vaux Park in Gravesend at around 3:40 p.m., when something went horribly wrong, cops said.

Really? Is that language necessary?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

The author doesn't know what the world 'scalped' means. :glare:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 06, 2013, 11:35:09 AM

NY Daily News reported that it sliced off pieces of his scalp and then slashed his throat.

I don't think I ever expected to write a sentence like that!

Caliga

The article above claims the top of his head was sliced off, and I saw another article that specifically said it was cut off 'at the forehead'. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2013, 11:38:06 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 06, 2013, 11:35:09 AM

NY Daily News reported that it sliced off pieces of his scalp and then slashed his throat.

I don't think I ever expected to write a sentence like that!

You and I are clearly in very different professions. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I went for a "fly-along" with the EPS police helicopter last weekend.  It was: awesome. :punk:

dps

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2013, 11:53:01 AM
I went for a "fly-along" with the EPS police helicopter last weekend.  It was: awesome. :punk:

I assume you didn't scalp or decapitate anyone.  Or slash their throat, as the case may be. 

Except perhaps metaphorically by misuse of the powers of your office.

Syt

Canadian police seem pretty easy going. When my colleagues were in Toronto they talked a policeman into taking them for a spin in his high speed patrol boat through the harbor. And two girls from our office posed for a photo with a handsome young policeman - they were handcuffed to each other and suggestively draped around him while his partner took the photo.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on September 06, 2013, 01:16:46 PM

Canadian police seem pretty easy going. When my colleagues were in Toronto they talked a policeman into taking them for a spin in his high speed patrol boat through the harbor. And two girls from our office posed for a photo with a handsome young policeman - they were handcuffed to each other and suggestively draped around him while his partner took the photo.
That's the story the cops chose to go with? :yeahright:

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on September 06, 2013, 01:16:46 PM

Well they are Canadians, after all. -_-