Russia may base bombers in Cuba

Started by jimmy olsen, March 14, 2009, 08:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Unacceptable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29691183/
QuoteReport: Russia may base bombers in Cuba
Venezuela also temporarily offers island site as Moscow eyes Caribbean

MOSCOW - Russian strategic bombers may be based in Cuba in the future, a Russian Air Force chief told Interfax news agency on Saturday.

Maj. Gen. Anatoly Zhikharev, chief of staff of Russia's long-range aviation, said Cuba had air bases with four or five suitable runways.

Interfax reported that he said Cuba could be used to base Russian bombers if the two countries "display a political will", adding "we are ready to fly there."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Zhikharev also said that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has offered an island as a temporary base for Russian planes.

Zhikharev said Chavez had offered "a whole island with an airdrome, which we can use as a temporary base for strategic bombers," the agency reported. "If there is a corresponding political decision, then the use of the island ... by the Russian Air Force is possible."

Two Russian bombers landed in Venezuela last year in what experts said was the first Western Hemisphere touchdown of Russian military craft since the end of the Cold War.

Cuba has never permanently hosted Russian or Soviet strategic aircraft. But Soviet short-range bombers often made stopovers there during the Cold War.

Russia resumed long-range bomber patrols in 2007 after a 15-year hiatus.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Berkut

This must be that "reset" they were talking about.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

The obvious historical parallel (even if it's a false analogy) is when Khrushchev construed weakness from Kennedy at Vienna and plopped some nukes in Cuba, Pooty Poot construed weakness from Barry after he sent his quaint little letter the other week and decides to send some strategic bombers down Cuba Way.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DisturbedPervert

They still have planes that can fly all the way to Cuba?

Syt

Soon Nicaraguan and Cuban paratroopers will drop from the Colorado skies.  :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Mikael Hakim

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 14, 2009, 10:09:25 AM
The obvious historical parallel (even if it's a false analogy) is when Khrushchev construed weakness from Kennedy at Vienna and plopped some nukes in Cuba, Pooty Poot construed weakness from Barry after he sent his quaint little letter the other week and decides to send some strategic bombers down Cuba Way.

The obvious differnece is that today Russia is weak and irrelevant

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Sneaky Russkies.. up to old tricks. No biggie I guess. Good that they're finding good, solid friends - Cuba, Venezuela, etc. Heh

I Killed Kenny

The question is: How quickly could those bombers reach the US? Could the USAF take them easily?

FunkMonk

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 14, 2009, 11:19:12 AM
The question is: How quickly could those bombers reach the US? Could the USAF take them easily?
I'm no AF guy but probably: Easy targets.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

I don't think anything based in Cuba is leaving the ground unarmed in case of a war.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

It really is amusing, but in a sad way, to watch the Russians walk all over Obama.

Not that this means anything - it is just Russias way of mocking the entire "Golly gee, I guess we can all be friends fer shur!" earnestness of the new administration.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Anyway. To get over the opening post.
Entirely on the surface this is a stupid move by Russia. They don't really have the capacity for this, in a war with the US it wouldn't be of much use and stopped straight away, there isn't going to be a war with the US and nor will the US let them interfere elsewhere in the area.
But I suppose the prestige blow to the US (and gain to Russia) this would be could have its knock on effects.
██████
██████
██████