News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia may base bombers in Cuba

Started by jimmy olsen, March 14, 2009, 08:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 14, 2009, 11:19:12 AM
The question is: How quickly could those bombers reach the US? Could the USAF take them easily?
Doesn't matter. The bombers won't give Russia first strike capability, and if the Big Dance(tm) ever did start they would be entirely irrelevent.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

PDH

Quote from: Kleves on March 14, 2009, 12:46:20 PM
Doesn't matter. The bombers won't give Russia first strike capability, and if the Big Dance(tm) ever did start they would be entirely irrelevent.
Unless the evil Russkies have clones Slim Pickens and turned him to the dark side...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2009, 11:27:29 AM
I don't think anything based in Cuba is leaving the ground unarmed in case of a war.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 14, 2009, 02:57:53 PM
I don't think anything based in Cuba is leaving the ground unarmed in case of a war.
How would the US stop them?  Russian air defence is a trillion times better than anything the US has.  That's what EUOT has to say.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

I'm always astounded when Russkies are doing something like this. They seem to be operating in a completely different paradigm - assuming they are evil and bent on destroying the world, they should welcome a naive friendly US President and pretend they are happy with his acts of good will - instead they spit at him and do some empty posturing. I wonder what they are gaining by that - the only meaningful consequence is the Western world shaking its head and saying "Oh well, that's right. Russkies can't be trusted".

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 14, 2009, 11:22:12 AM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on March 14, 2009, 11:19:12 AM
The question is: How quickly could those bombers reach the US? Could the USAF take them easily?
I'm no AF guy but probably: Easy targets.

Bears, Badgers and Blinders would be dogmeat. And there is only 18 or so Blackjacks. And those would be dogmeat too.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2009, 03:15:57 PM
How would the US stop them?  Russian air defence is a trillion times better than anything the US has.  That's what EUOT has to say.

Ground invasion, but we'd have quite a bit of trouble considering a single T-72 can destroy an entire US Tank Company with 3 rounds.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2009, 03:16:23 PM
I'm always astounded when Russkies are doing something like this. They seem to be operating in a completely different paradigm - assuming they are evil and bent on destroying the world, they should welcome a naive friendly US President and pretend they are happy with his acts of good will - instead they spit at him and do some empty posturing. I wonder what they are gaining by that - the only meaningful consequence is the Western world shaking its head and saying "Oh well, that's right. Russkies can't be trusted".
The Russians don't want to pin their hopes on good relations with the US.  If you remember, there was a time when there was an extremely pro-Russian president who allowed Russia to riddle the government with spies and provided them with all kinds of technology and gifts.  However, the next president was rather hostile, the one after even more so, and so on.  That's the advantage to the Russian autocracy:  Continuity.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Maybe it's part of Obama's plot to turn Texas into a nuclear wasteland?  :)

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2009, 03:40:33 PM
Texas is probably more powerful than Obama.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2009, 03:15:57 PM

If they ask nicely, the Canadians will take care of them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2009, 03:40:33 PM
You must mean Florida.

The Brain

Why can't we all just get along??!?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.