Main Menu

Social Class in America: Three Ladder System

Started by Jacob, September 05, 2013, 12:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 04:55:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2013, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 04:04:05 PM
I agree with all of that, of course, but I have another point to debate, and it is this: that the average costs of both being "not-poor" (in terms of perceived necessities of life) and having enough money to ensure your kids have all they need to be not-poor as well, and in addition having sufficient cash to retire on, is rising faster than the average income; and that this is harming generational social mobility for people who are not in the 'underclass'.

Yeah, when I look at my own social and economic mobility and reflect on how hard it would be for me to do the same thing in todays enviornment, it makes me shudder.

Yeah, us poor folks did pretty good.  :P

[Ducks, runs for cover  :D ]

I was going to make a quip about how the children of professors have no such trouble. :D

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2013, 04:55:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 04:51:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2013, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 05, 2013, 04:47:04 PM
Break your leg at work and get a 7 figure settlement.

PROFIT

I would counsel against that kind of risk taking

Speak for yourself, pal.

Ok, you can counsel people to take that risk - then you can pay out part of the settlment  :P

Better yet - the person who takes that risk can pay you to recover. ALL PART OF THE PLAN!  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2013, 04:56:22 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 04:55:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2013, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 04:04:05 PM
I agree with all of that, of course, but I have another point to debate, and it is this: that the average costs of both being "not-poor" (in terms of perceived necessities of life) and having enough money to ensure your kids have all they need to be not-poor as well, and in addition having sufficient cash to retire on, is rising faster than the average income; and that this is harming generational social mobility for people who are not in the 'underclass'.
Yeah, when I look at my own social and economic mobility and reflect on how hard it would be for me to do the same thing in todays enviornment, it makes me shudder.
Yeah, us poor folks did pretty good.  :P

[Ducks, runs for cover  :D ]
I was going to make a quip about how the children of professors have no such trouble. :D
Or the nephews of celebrated cultural icons. :P
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2013, 04:59:27 PM

Yeah, I can take that right to the bank.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2013, 04:38:19 PM
I dunno cc. One thing that has really struck me as I "grew up" was that all that stuff people tell you about how if you play by the rules and do all the things you're supposed to do you'll be successful is just garbage. Or a mundane definition of success. I'd say that as a general rule, life does not reward work. It rewards risk.

It also punishes risk.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
Indeed.  Your successful, stable family has set you up for success.  Feel guilty and bad about yourself, because you're taking the bread out of Ideologue's mouth.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2013, 05:11:23 PMIndeed.  Your successful, stable family has set you up for success.  Feel guilty and bad about yourself, because you're taking the bread out of Ideologue's mouth.

Well... if there's some sort of meat on the bread, Ide wouldn't eat it anyhow; no harm done.

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2013, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
Indeed.  Your successful, stable family has set you up for success.  Feel guilty and bad about yourself, because you're taking the bread out of Ideologue's mouth.

He doesn't eat bread, but candy bars.  :P

Neil

He would eat bread if the depredations of those lucky few hadn't left him with nothing but chocolate and bad peanut butter.

As for the vegetarian thing, I just assume that's brain damage from drinking, fighting or malnourishment.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 05:09:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2013, 04:38:19 PM
I dunno cc. One thing that has really struck me as I "grew up" was that all that stuff people tell you about how if you play by the rules and do all the things you're supposed to do you'll be successful is just garbage. Or a mundane definition of success. I'd say that as a general rule, life does not reward work. It rewards risk.

It also punishes risk.

That's what I meant by opening up both ends of the bell curve.  :yes:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

I don't know if I buy into the "life rewards risk" approach.

I think life rewards minimizing risk while maximizing potential upside. Your starting position - we can call it class or not - determines how much risk you may have to accept for the range of upsides within reach.

Starting, say, an office supplies store has a very different risk profile if all you can provide is sweat equity and personally guaranteed credit compared to, say, a $20K no-strings no interest loan from your father. Similarly, the range of potential upsides - or at least the distribution of likelihood within that range - varies as well; you have a much higher chance of seeing the bigger upsides if you happen to have social connections to high finance types, people familiar with IPOs etc.

So yeah... I think life rewards taking well-calculated risks, luck, and good starting positions.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 03:46:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 03:43:33 PMAmericans just aren't particularly class-conscious, save for the snobby elites and the resentful self-defeating underclass.

I think I have a pretty good idea whom you mean by the resentful self-defeating underclass... but who do you mean when you say snobby elites?

:secret: Jews.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 06:17:11 PM
So yeah... I think life rewards taking well-calculated risks, luck, and good starting positions.

You forgot the lack of a moral compass that permits the ability to fuck anybody over at anytime for anything, unfettered by conscience or consideration.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 06:17:11 PM

You forgot the lack of a moral compass that permits the ability to fuck anybody over at anytime for anything, unfettered by conscience or consideration.

I need to develop that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.