Main Menu

Social Class in America: Three Ladder System

Started by Jacob, September 05, 2013, 12:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2013, 06:50:48 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 06:17:11 PM
So yeah... I think life rewards taking well-calculated risks, luck, and good starting positions.

You forgot the lack of a moral compass that permits the ability to fuck anybody over at anytime for anything, unfettered by conscience or consideration.

I need to develop that.

We're not discussing your dating life.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on September 05, 2013, 03:55:05 PM
I think there is a very, very large difference between the poor and the underclass that you are missing.

The poor might be poor, but their social class and culture allow them to have a reasonable shot of becoming not poor, and it isn't generational. Their kids might be poor, but might not, and have a pretty decent opportunity to become not poor if they have a reasonable amount of intelligence/ambition/hard work, etc.,

Being poor sucks, but it isn't any kind of permanent sentence.

The underclass in America are the poor who for a variety of reasons are generational poor. They are poor, and quite likely their kids will be poor as well, because their social "class" is one that lacks the very things that give mobility to other poor Americans. Familial stability, appreciation for and access to education, etc., etc.

I'm aware of the difference. I understood this particular tangent to be about the shrinking middle class (or lack thereof), not the difference between poor and underclass.

It may well be that the working poor can work their way out - or their kids can - but it doesn't change the fact that the number of people below the poverty level is steadily growing. And they're not coming from the upper classes; they're coming from the middle. So it seems to me that the idea that the "shrinking middle class" is scare-mongering or a myth is ridiculous.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2013, 05:07:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2013, 04:59:27 PM
Or the nephews of celebrated cultural icons. :P

Yeah, I can take that right to the bank.  :lol:

If you had no morals, you could. Just look at what Princess Diana's brother did with her. Hell, he's almost solvent now!

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 06:30:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 05, 2013, 06:25:29 PM:secret: Jews.

That's not who he meant :)

Heh.  You'd like to think so.  The phraseology of the right wing has changed quite a bit, but usually is grounded in the same ideas.  Instead of "Jews control the Press" we have "Liberal Media Elite".  Same concept.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2013, 07:25:04 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2013, 07:19:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2013, 07:08:49 PM
Why not?

You haven't offered many details, so there isn't much to discuss.

Seedy appears to disagree. <_<

:P I just don't think you have a problem with dispensing with your moral compass when it comes to dating.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 05, 2013, 08:04:16 PM

Heh.  You'd like to think so.  The phraseology of the right wing has changed quite a bit, but usually is grounded in the same ideas.  Instead of "Jews control the Press" we have "Liberal Media Elite".  Same concept.

The right wing has nothing on you and Seedy when it comes to bringing ethnicity into everything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

OMG DOG WHISTLE POLITIX
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

We've also got the judicially poor. Those people who had to suffer irrationally harsh legal sanctions that create extra barriers to success that would otherwise not be there. I'm talking about a 20 year old with a drug possession charge for having some weed or something minor like that. In the era of background checks, that crap can ruin your life for just one dumb mistake. Kinda takes away any reason they might have had to try at that point. If we didn't have an underclass, we'd manufacture one.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2013, 08:10:34 PM
We've also got the judicially poor. Those people who had to suffer irrationally harsh legal sanctions that create extra barriers to success that would otherwise not be there. I'm talking about a 20 year old with a drug possession charge for having some weed or something minor like that. In the era of background checks, that crap can ruin your life for just one dumb mistake. Kinda takes away any reason they might have had to try at that point. If we didn't have an underclass, we'd manufacture one.

Yeah, that's a good point, too. The mistakes that we made as kids 30 years ago could destroy a kid's future today.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 05, 2013, 08:07:04 PM

The right wing has nothing on you and Seedy when it comes to bringing ethnicity into everything.

Today's Translation: "Welfare Fraud".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive