And we're back!

Main Menu

tablet

Started by Darth Wagtaros, September 04, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2013, 09:50:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2013, 11:34:37 PM
The big concern I have with Surface Pro for school would be battery life.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but the impression I have is it won't last through a day of classes.

Happy to report that both boys returned from school with 50%+ power left over.
Wow, your children have a lot of energy.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 12:30:57 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2013, 09:50:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2013, 11:34:37 PM
The big concern I have with Surface Pro for school would be battery life.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but the impression I have is it won't last through a day of classes.

Happy to report that both boys returned from school with 50%+ power left over.
Wow, your children have a lot of energy.
A good Canadian diet is responsible I bet.  Geese and bacon.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2013, 11:06:24 PM
Nobody in the thread was suggesting a Surface tablet, is all.  And while the idea sounds incredibly nifty (it is a full WinTel computer after all), the reviews have been pretty much mixed-to-poor.

The RTs were panned, the Pros got mostly good reviews other than price and battery life.  And the postulated Haswell models address the latter.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2013, 10:22:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2013, 11:06:24 PM
Nobody in the thread was suggesting a Surface tablet, is all.  And while the idea sounds incredibly nifty (it is a full WinTel computer after all), the reviews have been pretty much mixed-to-poor.

The RTs were panned, the Pros got mostly good reviews other than price and battery life.  And the postulated Haswell models address the latter.

Well, yes.  When you put aside the negatives, the reviews were very positive. :huh:

Look, I don't want to troll CC's thread here.  My "teachable moment" comment was that when CC asked about the Surface Pro, he had three people suggest he not purchase one, but he did so anyways.  The Surface Pro sounds nifty, as I said before.  Maybe the recently-announced, but so far unreleased, Haswells will make them an excellent computer.  But the Gen 1 reviews I read seemed to say 'interesting concept, but not quite ready yet'.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 11:04:24 AM
Well, yes.  When you put aside the negatives, the reviews were very positive. :huh:
Right.
In the same way that iPad got positive reviews, except for the lack of USB/external storage, no running multiple apps, no Flash, poor productivity apps, low memory in base models, etc.

I'm not being facetious, I have an iPad myself and love it.  But it has limitations, every product does.
I don't have a Surface Pro but it makes a compelling case.  Unlike a Nexus or an iPad you can actually get real work done on it.  If it hits 7 hours on the new model then the battery life is workable.
The only question is whether at that point it makes sense to get a touch screen Ultrabook or other convertible option.  That all depends on how MS prices it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 10, 2013, 11:51:05 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 11:04:24 AM
Right.
In the same way that iPad got positive reviews, except for the lack of USB/external storage, no running multiple apps, no Flash, poor productivity apps, low memory in base models, etc.

I'm not being facetious, I have an iPad myself and love it.  But it has limitations, every product does.
I don't have a Surface Pro but it makes a compelling case.  Unlike a Nexus or an iPad you can actually get real work done on it.  If it hits 7 hours on the new model then the battery life is workable.
The only question is whether at that point it makes sense to get a touch screen Ultrabook or other convertible option.  That all depends on how MS prices it.

But most reviews I recall of the iPad were on balance very favourable, even after accounting for the negatives you mentioned.

But reviews for Surface Pro were, after accounting for the negatives, fairly middling to average.

I think Ars Technica is fairly widely read here, so here was their review:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/02/microsoft-surface-with-windows-8-pro-hotter-thicker-faster-louder/4/

MadBurgerMaker

You should get over the fact that he didn't buy iPads.  The Surface Pro does the stuff he wants done better than the other things he tested.  Deal with it, yo.

E:  That Ars reviewer sounds like a fucking moron.  Has he never used a device with a tablet form factor before?  OMG IT WONT STAND UP ON MY KNEES AND THE ANGLE IS WRONG AND WITH THE KEYBOARD ITS BIGGER THAN THIS OTHER THING hold it in your hand you dumbass and if you really need a laptop with the attached keyboard and everything that comes with that all the time, then get an actual laptop instead of a laptop in tablet form.

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 10, 2013, 12:17:21 PM
You should get over the fact that he didn't buy iPads.  The Surface Pro does the stuff he wants done better than the other things he tested.  Deal with it, yo.

I don't own Apple stock, it doesn't make any difference to me what CC buys.

It's the lot of you who keep arguing the point with me. :mellow:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2013, 12:18:41 PM
I don't own Apple stock, it doesn't make any difference to me what CC buys.

It's the lot of you who keep arguing the point with me. :mellow:

Yeah, maybe next time don't make your offended lessons learned post, then continue following up on that post.

Darth Wagtaros

I got an Asus TF300. It is an older model, but I like it.  Has 32Gb, GPS, nice 10' display, and a decent battery life.  200 bucks.
PDH!

DGuller

Jesus, people, can you stop making posts about Beeb's hurt feelings?  I swear, it seems like everyone has to weigh in on this controversy.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 12:42:17 PM
Jesus, people, can you stop making posts about Beeb's hurt feelings?  I swear, it seems like everyone has to weigh in on this controversy.

No!

@CC Fuck you & your kids. Get an iPad! Gosh darn it. You trying to kill poor BB! Stop being a bully, buy an iPad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 10, 2013, 12:17:21 PM
E:  That Ars reviewer sounds like a fucking moron.

The fact that 2 of the big issues he raises up front are GPS by default and camera quality also supports this. 
--Joan Robinson

MadBurgerMaker

That too, yeah.  I managed to get beyond that point, but then he tried setting it up in his lap, and I just gave up on him as a human being.

E:  I don't think I've ever seen anyone using a tablet as a camera.  Is this really a thing?  A lot of tablet reviews seem to mention the camera.