News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

tablet

Started by Darth Wagtaros, September 04, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

My kindle died, it was one of the first ones.  I can get a MS Surface for 220 right now.  Think I should go for it? Or wait until my birthday and hold out for like a Nexus Insert Number Here?
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 04, 2013, 12:12:58 PM
My kindle died, it was one of the first ones.  I can get a MS Surface for 220 right now.  Think I should go for it? Or wait until my birthday and hold out for like a Nexus Insert Number Here?

That'd be the Surface RT, right?  Very poor app support from what I can recall, and the whole Windows RT ecosystem seems like it's swirling around the bowl.

If you can afford to buy one on a whim go for it, but I'd stick with a Nexus / iPad.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

[cdm]

An old slate and piece of chalk.  :smarty:

[/cdm]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Phillip V

Sister enjoys Nexus 7.

DontSayBanana

Yeah, RT sounds like it's dying a slow and painful death with virtually no developer buy-in.  I suspect they'll get spooked and put up a fire sale on Surface Pros within the next 18 months.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Want a larger screen. Maybe the Kindle Fire 8.9.  Its cheaper.
PDH!

crazy canuck

both boys need new tablets.  All of their textbooks are onling now so they need a light weight device with a fairly big screen and preferrably an option to hook up a keyboard.

They were looking at the surface pro since their school uses microsoft 8 for its applications.  I was looking at the Nexus 10 as a comparitor but it looks more like a lesser option that is trying to get market share based on price.

Assuming price isnt my main concern what does the mob say about getting the surface pro?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 07, 2013, 04:33:17 PM
both boys need new tablets.  All of their textbooks are onling now so they need a light weight device with a fairly big screen and preferrably an option to hook up a keyboard.

They were looking at the surface pro since their school uses microsoft 8 for its applications.  I was looking at the Nexus 10 as a comparitor but it looks more like a lesser option that is trying to get market share based on price.

Assuming price isnt my main concern what does the mob say about getting the surface pro?

Battery life is atrocious, and it runs very very hot.  Or so I've read.

Darth Wagtaros

It costs a fortune, and being brand neew there's no way of telling what kind of app market will be out there for the next year. 
PDH!

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 07, 2013, 04:33:17 PM

The Nexus 10 is there to compete with the Ipads. The Surface pro is a full fledge windows computer in a different form factor sporting a touch screen.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

We went out and looked at them all.  The clincher was that they could write notes on the screen of the Surface pro.  My younger son is up in his room now "writing" his math homework on his tablet.  The only thing the Apple product could do better was it had better apps.  But these are not meant for entertainment so that was a pretty low priority.

The ability for them to write notes in class and save it all electronically is going to be huge.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 07, 2013, 11:04:02 PM
We went out and looked at them all.  The clincher was that they could write notes on the screen of the Surface pro.  My younger son is up in his room now "writing" his math homework on his tablet.  The only thing the Apple product could do better was it had better apps.  But these are not meant for entertainment so that was a pretty low priority.

The ability for them to write notes in class and save it all electronically is going to be huge.

This is a good "teachable moment".  Remember folks, that when someone asks for advice, they usually just mean "please tell me that what I was doing is correct".  :lol:

garbon

Particularly if they are CC.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.