Main Menu

The NSA, and the loyalty of future generations

Started by CountDeMoney, September 03, 2013, 08:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2013, 07:40:31 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 04, 2013, 07:20:04 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2013, 06:44:21 AM
This is just a modernized re-write of that screed by Socrates, isn't it?

I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone that the "kids these days" essay remains so popular.

Well the central point of his argument is true, at least in Spain. My parents worked all their lives for the same company. None of the people in my generation will be able to say that. We're in our thirties and have already switched employers (usually several times).

g also has a tendency to naysay anything that tries to generalize generational behavior.
People of his age tend to be like that.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2013, 10:07:00 AM
Well the central point of his argument is true, at least in Spain. My parents worked all their lives for the same company. None of the people in my generation will be able to say that. We're in our thirties and have already switched employers (usually several times).

His conclusions may hold true for Spain, then.  In the US, the idea of employment for life went out when the depression started.  My great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, and myself have all had multiple employers.

I thought they worked for the government.  Wait, were your parents spies for the Russians?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2013, 10:11:27 AM
g also has a tendency to naysay anything that tries to generalize generationalgroup behavior without any real evidence.

FYP.  I also tend to naysay generalizations about behavior that are based on "race," sex, hair color, and star sign.

:mad:

My star sign tells me exactly who I am! We Sagitarians understand each other because we are exactly alike!

:P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2013, 10:11:23 AM
The children of tomorrow will be the NSA`s biggest wet dream, not nightmare. Their entire lives logged and archived from childhood. Wonderful.

From a spy agency's perspective, the problem is that pretty well anyone can look into those logs and achives. What's the use of being a spy if stuff just isn't secret?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

I think there are some real organizational challenges for the alphabet soup guys having gone as "flexible" and contractor dependant as they apparently have. There are also a whole new set of challenges in the new "information environment" that comes with social networks, the internet, evolving expectations of privacy, the ubiquity of data and data-mining and so forth. Certainly, your Snowden or Manning type leaks and problems seem inevitable (especially in retrospect, natch).

I'm less fond of the penchant for analyzing these challenges in terms of letter prefixed generations and their perceived intrinsic qualities. I think that tends to obscure the real and interesting issues.

Eddie Teach

g also has a tendency to naysay anything that tries to generalize generationalgroup behavior without any real evidence.

FYP.  I also tend to naysay generalizations about behavior that are based on "race," sex, hair color, and star sign.

Spoken like a Scorpio.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 04, 2013, 02:20:02 PM

Spoken like a Scorpio.

I'm a Scorpio! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on September 04, 2013, 02:35:23 PM
Generation Z?  Where do we go from here?  :(

If we're using a base 36 numbering system, the next one will be generation 10.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

garbon

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2013, 11:56:17 AM

:mad:

My star sign tells me exactly who I am! We Sagitarians understand each other because we are exactly alike!

:P

I'm also a Sagittarius.  That's a flexible sign.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

His conclusions may hold true for Spain, then.  In the US, the idea of employment for life went out when the depression started.  My great-grandparents, grandparents, parents, and myself have all had multiple employers.

Depends on where you worked, though.  My dad was the typical old-school Company Man-- worked for the same company in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s.  Then things caught up-- his employer offered him an 'early' retirement package which he accepted, and then proceeded to work for a competitor until he decided to fully retire on his own terms.

My current company (or at least my division/site) has a lot of people who have worked here for 30+ years.  It was a cocoon of sorts in the modern age of employment and in some respects has remained so, even through a couple different mergers & acquisitions.  The lady who runs our division started working here when she started college, continued on thereafter through her masters degree and then law degree, and was the last CEO we had before we got acquired.

Small to medium-sized banks have also been holdouts-- a few of them that are clients of mine still offer pensions and have employees that have been there for decades, doing pretty much the same thing every day  :yucky:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Look who is generalizing to the whole of the United States from the limited experiences of his own family. :P