Started by garbon, September 03, 2013, 11:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2013, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2013, 06:56:45 PM
Is this where we pat you on the head?

Even if you displayed genuine sympathy for anyone other than yourself, I doubt anyone would believe it.

I'm very empathetic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 03, 2013, 07:31:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 07:23:50 PM
And how would they do that, exactly?  How could an institution of higher education teach students how to function in an environment where those distractions exist?  And what would be the justification for why they would teach students these skills? Did your college teach you how?

Well, yeah my college taught me how, at least in a way.  Distractions were there, they expected me to continue to function, I continued to function.  They sure as hell didn't just take it all away and hope it works out for the best after I step off campus and suddenly omg there's youtube

Yep. Though if the idea is to prep people to live in isolated communities (I mean we are talking Wyoming) then maybe though presumably people in those settings don't need 26k/year educations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2013, 07:41:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2013, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2013, 06:56:45 PM
Is this where we pat you on the head?

Even if you displayed genuine sympathy for anyone other than yourself, I doubt anyone would believe it.

I'm very empathetic.

I believe you. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 07:38:42 PM
Apparently nobody else does, either.

There's just the one guy at my joint who does.  Poor bastard. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2013, 07:43:26 PM
Yep. Though if the idea is to prep people to live in isolated communities (I mean we are talking Wyoming) then maybe though presumably people in those settings don't need 26k/year educations.

I sincerely doubt these kids are unfamiliar with the uses of modern technology.  They are, however, most likely unfamiliar with a dedicated academic learning environment.

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 07:01:43 PM
That's not mastery of the liberal arts;  that's mastery of the Food Network and the Travel Channel.

Who cares.  Smelly brown pipples are still smelly brown pipples.  Don't need a liberal arts education to recognize that.
Stunning exhibit of the value of a liberal arts education.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on September 03, 2013, 08:10:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 07:01:43 PM
That's not mastery of the liberal arts;  that's mastery of the Food Network and the Travel Channel.

Who cares.  Smelly brown pipples are still smelly brown pipples.  Don't need a liberal arts education to recognize that.
Stunning exhibit of the value of a liberal arts education.

Everything on their side of the planet smells like curry.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Hipsters who use typewriters shouldn't have a say in the whether or not technology detracts from education. They're obviously biased.

and old :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 03, 2013, 08:27:55 PM
Hipsters who use typewriters shouldn't have a say in the whether or not technology detracts from education. They're obviously biased.

and old :P

+1

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 08:00:52 PM
They are, however, most likely unfamiliar with a dedicated academic learning environment.

Which has little or nothing to do with modern technology.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2013, 11:10:48 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 08:00:52 PM
They are, however, most likely unfamiliar with a dedicated academic learning environment.

Which has little or nothing to do with modern technology.

For a generation with the attention and retention span of Ritalin-addled chipmunks after a meth-fueled weekend bender with the Philly chapter of the Warlocks MC thanks to their inability to discipline themselves regarding the use of modern technology, I would say it does. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 03, 2013, 07:11:45 PM
Hey, if colleges can ban smoking on their premises for the greater good--"the greater good"--they can restrict Internet silliness for the educational environment.
Beware the heretical Tau!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point