So, tomorrow I will meet president Obama

Started by Bluebook, September 03, 2013, 10:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2013, 08:22:15 AM
I listened to Jesse Jackson for a second and then walked away when he mentioned, I believe it was Katrina and George Bush.

He was a pompous ass when I met him. That was, again, 25 years ago, and he was just kind of hitting his stride as a public figure, but the memory that I have of him was that he was incredibly rude. He was particularly awful to the worker bees, though he'd turn on the charm the second one of the other candidates came around him.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

I met and spoke with Biden on multiple occasions, also sat next to him at a football game.  I dated a girl in Delaware for 2 years whose dad was Biden's architect.  He was a nice enough guy on the surface at first, but his act sort of wore thin.  As far as Delaware politicians go, I much prefer (now Senator) Carper.  He's tacked a little to the left since he entered the Senate, but he always came across as a pretty genuine guy.

I guess on the GOP side, the highest ranking politician I've met was John Kasich-- when he was a congressman in the early 90s.

Never cared much for meeting politicians, though.  Meeting sports legends like Paul Brown & Art Donovan meant more to me than possibly meeting any president in my lifetime, save for Reagan.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2013, 08:47:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2013, 08:22:15 AM
I listened to Jesse Jackson for a second and then walked away when he mentioned, I believe it was Katrina and George Bush.

He was a pompous ass when I met him. That was, again, 25 years ago, and he was just kind of hitting his stride as a public figure, but the memory that I have of him was that he was incredibly rude. He was particularly awful to the worker bees, though he'd turn on the charm the second one of the other candidates came around him.

My brother met him last year.  Doesn't sound like he's changed much.

Having said that, I'd love to hear him read "Green Eggs & Ham" in person :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2013, 08:48:35 AM

Never cared much for meeting politicians, though.  Meeting sports legends like Paul Brown & Art Donovan meant more to me than possibly meeting any president in my lifetime, save for Reagan.

So my meeting John Elway - and spending several hours in a hotel bar talking football with him - means more than the other list? ;)

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2013, 08:50:54 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2013, 08:48:35 AM

So my meeting John Elway - and spending several hours in a hotel bar talking football with him - means more than the other list? ;)

Duh.  That's on par with me taking a leak next to Joe Theismann.

Syt

In the 90s we took a school trip to Hamburg to visit a Pompei exhibition. We ran into former chancellor Helmut Schmidt there. Surprisingly, he didn't smoke there. (He has the reputation of smoking anytime, anywhere, whether it's a smoking area or not.) He was gracious enough to sign a few autographs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2013, 08:53:27 AM

:hmm:

I thought talking was verbotten in that situation. I'll take actually having a real conversation with John over peeing next to Joe silently.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2013, 08:56:14 AM
In the 90s we took a school trip to Hamburg to visit a Pompei exhibition. We ran into former chancellor Helmut Schmidt there. Surprisingly, he didn't smoke there. (He has the reputation of smoking anytime, anywhere, whether it's a smoking area or not.) He was gracious enough to sign a few autographs.
:o

I saw a story that he's hoarding menthol cigarettes before the EU ban them. Apparently he's up to 34 000 :lol:

Only senior politicians I've met are, weirdly, IDS and Ken Clarke. I've met Rory Stewart a few times too :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I've met Canada's greatest Prime Minister, Brian Mulroney. He probably held me in his arms!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2013, 08:53:27 AM

:hmm:

I thought talking was verbotten in that situation. I'll take actually having a real conversation with John over peeing next to Joe silently.

Light conversation is permitted.

It was just one of those bizarre moments.  It was a Sunday night game, I believe in 1998.  I was standing there at the urinal in the press box men's room at the new Ravens stadium, unloading my two diet cokes from the pre-game meal.  Kind of zoned out, thinking about how shitty it was going to be to have to go to work the next day.  Door swings open and I hear three familiar voices-- sounded a lot like Theismann, Paul Maguire, and Mike Patrick.  It was them-- making jokes about how long it will take each of them to piss given their age and size of their respective prostates.

Theismann pulls up next to me, notices I'm wearing a Bengals shirt and I guess figures me for a coach.  Asks if we're "ready".  So I, in my classic failure to ever say anything witty in a situation like this, say, "uh, ready as we'll ever be, Joe!"

Then Theismann proceeds to turn his head to the side and yell at the dude taking a crap in the bathroom for not giving us a courtesy flush. 

Good times :)

Maximus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 04, 2013, 09:13:31 AM
I've met Canada's greatest Prime Minister, Brian Mulroney. He probably help me in his arms!
I shook his hand once in a crowd. Not sure if that counts as meeting him.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2013, 09:14:37 AM
Light conversation is permitted.

If you are an asshole who can't keep your mouth shut. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

So Meri was hit on for several hours by John Elway and she didn't realise it ?  :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maximus