Will the Congress approve military action against Syria

Started by jimmy olsen, September 02, 2013, 01:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Congress approve military action against Syria?

Both the Senate and the House
16 (40%)
The Senate, but not the House
16 (40%)
The House, but not the Senate
0 (0%)
Neither of them will approve
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 39

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 10:31:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 10:29:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 05, 2013, 10:26:02 PM
Why do conservatives have such a hard on for a guy who sold weapons to Iran?

It was different then. You weren't there, man.

Yes, breaking the law wasn't so illegal then.

No shit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 07:40:34 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 05:26:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 04:09:23 PM
I asked my Syrian uncle over the weekend to for his thoughts on the situation in Syria:  he still doesn't give a shit.
And you felt the need to tell us he's a bad person, why?

:huh:
If you're from a country, one would think that you would care that it's being torn apart in a brutal civil war.

Other than what an instructive example it is, I don't care about Spain.  No offense, El Larcho, Iorm.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Deal.  Just don't ask for my mint '81 AL HAIG.

Yeah, I went there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BlMqa6PhtDw#t=281
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Unlike the rest of your GOP heroes, Al Haig was never indicted.

derspiess

He did have a "take charge" attitude, I'll give him that.

CountDeMoney

Better than a "take a cake and some missiles to Tehran" attitude.

Valmy

I would care very much about a Second English Civil War and my ancestors immigrated sometime between 1680 and 1700.  Spicey's Uncle and Ide have no soul.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2013, 10:33:32 PMOther than what an instructive example it is, I don't care about Spain.  No offense, El Larcho, Iorm.

You're Spanish?

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 07:48:12 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 07:40:34 PM
If you're from a country, one would think that you would care that it's being torn apart in a brutal civil war.

It's not as if he's fresh off the boat.  His family came here in the 20s or 30s.  I think they were some funky brand of eastern rite Catholic, but did the right thing and converted to a mainstream protestant church when they settled in Indiana. 

In contrast to KRonn's in-laws, my uncle and his family are pretty conservative-- more so than I, in fact.

Ah, you said he was Syrian  ;)

So my option c) not Syrian was accurate

derspiess

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2013, 02:17:51 PM
Eh, no.

Eh, yes.

QuoteI asked my Syrian uncle over the weekend to for his thoughts on the situation in Syria:  he still doesn't give a shit.

I thought you were talking about somone who was Syrian - cause you said he was.   Turns out he is an American who belongs to a family who immigrated to the US.  There is a subtle difference  that often eludes people who support the Repulicans. ;)

derspiess

:rolleyes:  He's of Syrian heritage and ethnically identifies as Syrian.  I suppose I could type out "Syrian-American" to please pedantic goofballs such as yourself, but I'll just stick with "Syrian" for short. 

Eddie Teach

Well I certainly don't go around calling myself a Scotsman.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2013, 02:39:39 PM
:rolleyes:  He's of Syrian heritage and ethnically identifies as Syrian.  I suppose I could type out "Syrian-American" to please pedantic goofballs such as yourself, but I'll just stick with "Syrian" for short.

Ok, you use language loosely.  How people who dont know your family history should be expected to know that "my Syrian uncle" really means my American uncle is a bit puzzling but ok.  I found it strange that you had a Syrian uncle and assumed that one of your aunts married a Syrian.

Again, sorry for not understanding that by Syrian you meant American.