Will the Congress approve military action against Syria

Started by jimmy olsen, September 02, 2013, 01:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Congress approve military action against Syria?

Both the Senate and the House
16 (40%)
The Senate, but not the House
16 (40%)
The House, but not the Senate
0 (0%)
Neither of them will approve
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 39

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

McCain is threatening the President with impeachment, apparently unaware that the Senate can't impeach the President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2013, 02:37:02 AM
McCain is threatening the President with impeachment,

At least one of you is crazy. Possibly both.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 09, 2013, 06:30:36 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 09, 2013, 06:20:23 AM
This Sitzkrieg bores me.
Well, you're the expert on the subject Gimpy.

You are cordially invited to eat shit and die cancer stick.

Do the world a favor and get hit by a bus.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 09, 2013, 06:20:23 AM
This Sitzkrieg bores me.

If you experience an anticipated erection for more than 2 weeks consult your doctor

Berkut

What a mess this entire response has been.

If Obama felt a strike was necessary, it should have been done long ago.

This is the worst waffling in foreign policy I can recall in a very long time.

Christ, what could be worse than asking for permission to do something you intend to do whether you get permission or not?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on September 09, 2013, 12:08:53 PM
What a mess this entire response has been.

If Obama felt a strike was necessary, it should have been done long ago.

This is the worst waffling in foreign policy I can recall in a very long time.

Christ, what could be worse than asking for permission to do something you intend to do whether you get permission or not?

It has turned out pretty badly. 
But the only thing that surprises me more than the Administration's ability to screw this up is the wholesale rejection of liberal humanitarian interventionism based on such a widely regarded international no-no as chemical weapons, which has been such an ingrained part of our national identity in foreign policy.  And not just with us domestically, but with most of the world.

Bad things, man.

Maximus

Yea there is little point in any action short of regime change at this point.

He made this move to preserve his rule and so long as he succeeds in that I doubt he cares if a couple more buildings get blown up.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on September 09, 2013, 12:08:53 PM

Agreed.

I read an interesting analysis over the weekend, in the context of Parliamentary Democracies, that the recent trend in Canada and the UK to go to Parliament to obtain approval of the Prime Ministers wish to engage in military activities diminishes the roles of both the executive and the legislative.

The curbing of the power of the Prime Minister and Cabinet are obvious is the Parliament does not support what they wish to do.  But the interesting bit is the view that if Parliament does approve the action then it also loses some of its authority (even it is moral authority) to question the actions of the Prime Minister because after all Parliament approved it.

It has become a tactic for the executive to minimize the political risk of making the hard choices.  But as we have seen it also means that hard choices might not be made at all or at least deflected back onto Parliament which doesnt have that roll in the first place.

I am not sure to what extent this kind of analysis as any validity in the American model.  It may be that the President requires approval of the legilslature whereas a PM does not.

Ed Anger

My offer to give Asma Assad sanctuary in my basement stands.