Will the Congress approve military action against Syria

Started by jimmy olsen, September 02, 2013, 01:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Congress approve military action against Syria?

Both the Senate and the House
16 (40%)
The Senate, but not the House
16 (40%)
The House, but not the Senate
0 (0%)
Neither of them will approve
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 39

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 07:49:19 PM
The point is, I'm sure derspiess' uncle is glad he's not getting gassed in Damascus.  Warren County is a tough enough gig.

Plus, their whole clan emigrated from Syria around the same time.  He doesn't know of any relatives still in Syria.

Totally unrelated, my uncle makes a mean pork loin roast-- I grew up thinking that was typical Syrian fare :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 07:53:43 PM
We're talking framed letter from Ollie North in the study here :D

Yeah, that's pretty high in the upper layers of the Conservasphere.  Not much oxygen up there to get to the brain.   :P 

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 05, 2013, 07:55:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 07:49:19 PM
The point is, I'm sure derspiess' uncle is glad he's not getting gassed in Damascus.  Warren County is a tough enough gig.

All that White Trash is Middletucky is danger enough.

True to his middle eastern roots, he shrewdly retired to where he could get the most house for his money, without any regard for how much a pain in the ass it is for us to go up there :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 07:57:57 PM
True to his middle eastern roots, he shrewdly retired to where he could get the most house for his money, without any regard for how much a pain in the ass it is for us to go up there :lol:

I'm sure there's a good House of Sand and Fog joke in there somewhere, but House of Brats and Sweater Vests just doesn't work.

MadImmortalMan

Word is Iran was caught giving instructions to agents in Iraq to do some terrorism there if the Syria attack happens.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2013, 08:02:56 PM
Word is Iran was caught giving instructions to agents in Iraq to do some terrorism there if the Syria attack happens.

So, it'll be like your average Tuesday then.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 07:57:36 PM

Yeah, that's pretty high in the upper layers of the Conservasphere.  Not much oxygen up there to get to the brain.   :P

It's Indiana. :huh: What do you expect?

The head of the KKK isn't there because it's quaint, you know.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2013, 08:11:07 PM
It's Indiana. :huh: What do you expect?

The head of the KKK isn't there because it's quaint, you know.

It's cause there's no black people outside Gary and Indianapolis.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 05, 2013, 06:17:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 05:26:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 04:09:23 PM
I asked my Syrian uncle over the weekend to for his thoughts on the situation in Syria:  he still doesn't give a shit.
And you felt the need to tell us he's a bad person, why?

:huh:

Timmay doesn't have what we call the 'social skills'.
On the internet they're not required. :)

I would never make such a comment in real life.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 05, 2013, 08:02:56 PM
More specifically, attack the U.S. Embassy and other American interests in Iraq.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 07:49:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 07:48:12 PM
In contrast to KRonn's in-laws, my uncle and his family are pretty conservative-- more so than I, in fact.

Whoa.

I have an autographed photo of him somewhere around here.  :goodboy:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Why do conservatives have such a hard on for a guy who sold weapons to Iran?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 05, 2013, 10:26:02 PM

It was different then. You weren't there, man.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 10:29:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 05, 2013, 10:26:02 PM

It was different then. You weren't there, man.

Yes, breaking the law wasn't so illegal then.