Will the Congress approve military action against Syria

Started by jimmy olsen, September 02, 2013, 01:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Congress approve military action against Syria?

Both the Senate and the House
16 (40%)
The Senate, but not the House
16 (40%)
The House, but not the Senate
0 (0%)
Neither of them will approve
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 05:26:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 04:09:23 PM
I asked my Syrian uncle over the weekend to for his thoughts on the situation in Syria:  he still doesn't give a shit.
And you felt the need to tell us he's a bad person, why?

:huh:

Timmay doesn't have what we call the 'social skills'.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

I asked my Syrian uncle over the weekend to for his thoughts on the situation in Syria:  he still doesn't give a shit.

I haven't asked my Syrian step-relatives about this. They're Christians and have been in the US since the early 1900s, arriving in the US about the same time as my early Italian relatives. Some are staunch Dems, others the opposite. But generally many oppose the US getting so involved around the world, not just in the Mid East.

I become more and more against this intervention the longer that time goes on for a number of reasons. Besides feeling it won't do much and if it does then the US stands to be pulled in more. Plus if few other nations think it's worthwhile then why should the US uphold standards that few care about? Why put our necks on the line. I think more that it's become theatre of the absurd the way it's been handled. All the foolish and feckless arguing over so much of the issue, including the "red line" stuff, and who said what. Our leaders, administration and Congress look foolish the more they debate.

Then too Syria isn't a small, hapless nation unable to strike back in some ways via its allies and terrorist groups. It's one of the major nations of the Mid East with some dangerous allies like Hezbollah and Iran. All are very capable of striking back at the US or Europe with bombings and such. These groups make Al Qaida look like rank amateurs and have the training, funding and backing of governments.

Eddie Teach

I thought the point he was making is that assimilation works.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 06:14:59 PM

:huh:
If you're from a country, one would think that you would care that it's being torn apart in a brutal civil war.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 05, 2013, 07:40:34 PM
If you're from a country, one would think that you would care that it's being torn apart in a brutal civil war.
Why would it make a difference that you're from that country?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on September 05, 2013, 07:42:44 PM
Why would it make a difference that you're from that country?

No shit.  I mean, yeah, maybe you're worried about friends or extended family, or wondering if the ol' bedroom is being used as an Al-Nusra .50 cal emplacement, but aren't most people that have emigrated to better countries glad they got the hell of out Dodge when they did?

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 07:45:39 PM
No shit.  I mean, yeah, maybe you're worried about friends or extended family, or wondering if the ol' bedroom is being used as an Al-Nusra .50 cal emplacement, but aren't most people that have emigrated to better countries glad they got the hell of out Dodge when they did?
I think you're missing the point.

derspiess

It's not as if he's fresh off the boat.  His family came here in the 20s or 30s.  I think they were some funky brand of eastern rite Catholic, but did the right thing and converted to a mainstream protestant church when they settled in Indiana. 

In contrast to KRonn's in-laws, my uncle and his family are pretty conservative-- more so than I, in fact.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The point is, I'm sure derspiess' uncle is glad he's not getting gassed in Damascus.  Warren County is a tough enough gig.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 07:48:12 PM
In contrast to KRonn's in-laws, my uncle and his family are pretty conservative-- more so than I, in fact.

Whoa.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on September 05, 2013, 07:47:08 PM
I think you're missing the point.

It must be exhausting to be constantly worried about people in the third world shooting and bombing each other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 07:49:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 05, 2013, 07:48:12 PM

Whoa.

We're talking framed letter from Ollie North in the study here :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2013, 07:49:19 PM
The point is, I'm sure derspiess' uncle is glad he's not getting gassed in Damascus.  Warren County is a tough enough gig.

All that White Trash is Middletucky is danger enough.

Ed Anger