What is the highest level of education you've completed?

Started by Savonarola, August 30, 2013, 02:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the highest level of education you've completed?

Didn't complete high school
1 (1.6%)
High school diploma
3 (4.7%)
Some college no degree
8 (12.5%)
Associates degree (or equivalent)
4 (6.3%)
Bachelors degree (or equivalent)
15 (23.4%)
Some graduate work, no degree
4 (6.3%)
Masters/Professional degree (or equivalent)
18 (28.1%)
JD (or equivalent)
7 (10.9%)
Doctorate (or equivalent)
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Ideologue

God, it's such a boring thing to argue about.  Fine, you have an LL.B.  I've moved on.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 31, 2013, 01:27:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 30, 2013, 03:34:38 PM
LL.B for me - I guess that fits in the JD slot.  ;)

My dad has a bizzare degree they give in the UK, a "Doctor of Science", which is a degree above a "doctorate". I was there when he got it (I think I was 12 or so). He was the only person getting that degree that year. Everyone else at the graduation ceremony - some thousands of students - was wearing black; my dad was wearing a robe of crimson and yellow silk. He stood out in the crowd.  :lol:

One of my teachers at school had that. He had started quite recently at the school and had not really made an impact. But, at the annual prize-giving he stole the show in his fancy robes, from then on he was known as "Boris" and became rather popular  :cool:

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2013, 11:11:46 AM
Had a professor once that said he started college at 18, and never left.  Bachelors, Masters, PhD candidate...said he's never had a real job.
At least he was honest.

I had a cousin who did that in psychology.  When she was 31 she got her first job as a counselor at a college campus only to discover she hated her job because all the people she dealt with had problems.  She teaches yoga and dance therapy now.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Bachelors in math.  Could've probably gotten a PhD with less effort than it took me to not get an actuarial designation yet.  :(

HVC

Have an associates degree and i'm working on a bachelors degree. Once done i'll have a accounting designation which I guess is a Professional degree for the purposes of this poll. voted associates degree as that's the only one I've completed thus far.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2013, 05:34:07 PM
Bachelors in math.  Could've probably gotten a PhD with less effort than it took me to not get an actuarial designation yet.  :(
designations suck and I feel your pain.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 01, 2013, 12:29:07 AM
God, it's such a boring thing to argue about.  Fine, you have an LL.B.  I've moved on.

It's worth it, just to be able to call you "Dr. Ide".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on September 03, 2013, 09:46:27 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 01, 2013, 12:29:07 AM

It's worth it, just to be able to call you "Dr. Ide".  :D

No one does that.  I've heard of one person, ever, insisting on "doctor" due to a JD.  He was reportedly widely hated.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 03, 2013, 02:43:32 PM
No one does that.  I've heard of one person, ever, insisting on "doctor" due to a JD.  He was reportedly widely hated.

I've had JDs as political science instructors at college university;  they didn't specifically ask to be addressed as "Dr", but they didn't mind it, either.

Ideologue

If they didn't correct you, they're probably assholes.

I mean, all of my teachers were JDs.  The only one I didn't just call "professor" was the one I called "judge" (because he was a judge).  I certainly didn't call any of them "doctor," because they have not earned that title.
Kinemalogue