What is the highest level of education you've completed?

Started by Savonarola, August 30, 2013, 02:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the highest level of education you've completed?

Didn't complete high school
1 (1.6%)
High school diploma
3 (4.7%)
Some college no degree
8 (12.5%)
Associates degree (or equivalent)
4 (6.3%)
Bachelors degree (or equivalent)
15 (23.4%)
Some graduate work, no degree
4 (6.3%)
Masters/Professional degree (or equivalent)
18 (28.1%)
JD (or equivalent)
7 (10.9%)
Doctorate (or equivalent)
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2013, 08:50:49 PM
I'm perplexed - I have a LL.B., but I really don't consider that in any way equivalent to a JD. :hmm:

That's OK, neither do we.

Josquius

I'm a master.
Level of education means very little about somebody's intelect, it just means you could afford/felt like sitting through x years of school.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2013, 09:11:56 PM
I'm a master.
Level of education means very little about somebody's intelect, it just means you could afford/felt like sitting through x years of school.

Depends entirely on what one studies, and what one does while doing that studying.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

I'm a master.

I don't know man.  I feel better knowing the guy operating on me has a medical degree.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I feel better knowing the guy teaching History at least has an MA  :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on August 30, 2013, 03:34:38 PM
LL.B for me - I guess that fits in the JD slot.  ;)

My dad has a bizzare degree they give in the UK, a "Doctor of Science", which is a degree above a "doctorate". I was there when he got it (I think I was 12 or so). He was the only person getting that degree that year. Everyone else at the graduation ceremony - some thousands of students - was wearing black; my dad was wearing a robe of crimson and yellow silk. He stood out in the crowd.  :lol:

One of my teachers at school had that. He had started quite recently at the school and had not really made an impact. But, at the annual prize-giving he stole the show in his fancy robes, from then on he was known as "Boris" and became rather popular  :cool:

Savonarola

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 31, 2013, 01:27:49 AM
One of my teachers at school had that. He had started quite recently at the school and had not really made an impact. But, at the annual prize-giving he stole the show in his fancy robes, from then on he was known as "Boris" and became rather popular  :cool:

:lol:

I was wondering if a Higher Degree actually meant anything in the UK system.  I believe that Habilation is required for a full professorship at German universities (or at least was at one time.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I'm perplexed - I have a LL.B., but I really don't consider that in any way equivalent to a JD. :hmm:

Please put down JD.  I was trying to separate out the lawyers and didn't realize the LL.B. was that different from the JD.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I'm a master.

It's not about intellect, but self awareness:

The Bachelors is awarded when one thinks he knows everything
The Masters is awarded after one realizes he knows nothing
The Doctorate is awarded after one realizes one know nothing, but neither does anyone else

Pishtaco

Quote from: Savonarola on August 31, 2013, 10:03:03 AMI was wondering if a Higher Degree actually meant anything in the UK system.  I believe that Habilation is required for a full professorship at German universities (or at least was at one time.)

It still is, at least in parts of central and eastern Europe. I would need a habilitation to be a professor here in the Czech Republic (and I think it's the same in Poland). I can't get one though, as you need to do some teaching to get it. However I probably will try to get the DrSc, which I think is meant to work like a habilitation but for research only. It should be a matter of just stapling some papers together and writing a summary.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on August 31, 2013, 10:10:39 AM
The Bachelors is awarded when one thinks he knows everything
The Masters is awarded after one realizes he knows nothing
The Doctorate is awarded after one realizes one know nothing, but neither does anyone else

Had a professor once that said he started college at 18, and never left.  Bachelors, Masters, PhD candidate...said he's never had a real job.
At least he was honest.

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on August 31, 2013, 10:06:09 AM

Please put down JD.  I was trying to separate out the lawyers and didn't realize the LL.B. was that different from the JD.

It's not.  Beeb is being extremely and irrationally difficult, probably because he got a legal education which, if nothing else, does teach those skills.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on August 31, 2013, 10:06:09 AM

Sorry, you've just marched into a pet peeve of mine.  In the last 10 years all Canadian schools have switched from granting LL.B.s to JDs.  I detest the notion.  It ignores our UK heritage of course, but more than that - the focus should be on the "law" part, not the title of bachelor or doctor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

I'm pretty sure all the Yanqui Peegdog lawyers here would attest that their US law school educations focused on the law.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2013, 11:34:16 PM
I'm pretty sure all the Yanqui Peegdog lawyers here would attest that their US law school educations focused on the law.

Then why are they so adamant about calling themselves "doctors". :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.