And we're back!

Main Menu

Montana judge defends 30-day sentence for rape

Started by merithyn, August 28, 2013, 03:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: merithyn on September 02, 2013, 11:45:38 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 02, 2013, 11:43:52 PM
Hell, if it's an issue of undue influence (or its converse, sexual bribery), even sex with an 18 (or 25) year old should be criminal.

The difference is the age of reason. By 19 or so, one hopes that the individual is at least capable of completely grasping the consequences of their actions.

You're misidentifying the issue.  The issue is the subversion of a process for personal ends, which needs to be fair for both parties.  If a high school teacher intimidates a student into giving him a blowjob, or if she exchanges blowjobs for A's, that's criminal even if she's 18 (and I mean it actually is criminal, at least in SC, but it should be very criminal--it is morally degenerate and damaging to society as a whole, when a mere relationship that developed out of mutual sexual attraction is at worst damaging to one person).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2013, 11:46:14 PM
Should bosses who sleep with the people reporting to them be sent to prison as well?  They have a hell of a lot more power over you than teachers do.

That's different because Amalgamated Accountants, LLP, do not represent the state and carry out state functions.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: Ideologue on September 02, 2013, 11:51:34 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 02, 2013, 11:45:38 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 02, 2013, 11:43:52 PM
Hell, if it's an issue of undue influence (or its converse, sexual bribery), even sex with an 18 (or 25) year old should be criminal.

The difference is the age of reason. By 19 or so, one hopes that the individual is at least capable of completely grasping the consequences of their actions.

You're misidentifying the issue.  The issue is the subversion of a process for personal ends, which needs to be fair for both parties.  If a high school teacher intimidates a student into giving him a blowjob, or if she exchanges blowjobs for A's, that's criminal even if she's 18 (and I mean it actually is criminal, at least in SC, but it should be very criminal--it is morally degenerate and damaging to society as a whole, when a mere relationship that developed out of mutual sexual attraction is at worst damaging to one person).

From what I understand, it is criminal to coerce someone into having sex. It's called rape, for better or for worse.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

I don't think it's usually considered rape if a college professor says "I'll fail you if you don't put out."  It's still maybe criminal (I'd have to look it up), and it's definitively actionable, but I don't believe it falls under the ambit of rape.

It's about as bad as rape, and in some ways worse, because of the reasons I've outlined.  So, yeah, fine, call it whatever.
Kinemalogue

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on September 02, 2013, 11:42:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2013, 11:35:06 PM
If you make reasonable arguments, at least some people will presume you are being reasonable.

If you make unreasonable arguments, even ones like "you've all decided .... I can't be reasonable" then people will in fact think you cannot be reasonable.

Nobody has decided you can't be reasonable, people have observed that you are not being reasonable. It's not the same thing.

You aren't a victim.

Okay, Berk. Since you say so....

Yes, that is certainly the way to convince me you are not being unreasonable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2013, 12:06:33 AM
If you make reasonable arguments, at least some people will presume you are being reasonable.

If you make unreasonable arguments, even ones like "you've all decided .... I can't be reasonable" then people will in fact think you cannot be reasonable.

Nobody has decided you can't be reasonable, people have observed that you are not being reasonable. It's not the same thing.

You aren't a victim.

Because your approval is so damn important.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

I stopped worrying about that awhile ago. You believe what you want.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on September 03, 2013, 12:10:10 AM

You aren't a victim.

Because your approval is so damn important.

I kind of doubt it, but she does seem to be annoyed that people are finding her unreasonable.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2013, 12:13:25 AM

Belief has nothing to do with it.

You make unreasonable arguments, then get all offended that people find you to be unreasonable.

You believe whatever YOU want. Play the victim, if you really want to believe that is the issue.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2013, 12:13:25 AM

:hmm:

Razgovory

Meri, do you think there are circumstances where an under age defendant should be tried as an adult?  What about a person who is legally an adult, should they always be tried as an adult?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2013, 12:21:02 AM

Belief has nothing to do with it.

You make unreasonable arguments, then get all offended that people find you to be unreasonable.

You believe whatever YOU want. Play the victim, if you really want to believe that is the issue.

The thing is, Berk, that these recent "unreasonable arguments" were never meant to be arguments. They were off-the-cuff comments that were, at least to me, clearly an exaggeration for effect. I read the damn article. I even read, believe it or not, the last paragraph. I understood what she was trying to say. I disagree with her conclusions but I understood her arguments just fine. At a certain point, it's not worth bothering anymore. When the immediate response to the article is:

Quote from: Berkut on September 02, 2013, 03:05:51 PM
Quote from: sbr on September 02, 2013, 01:59:24 PM
Meri is gonna be PISSED.

Yeah, nuance and context and anything other than "OMG THAT MAN RAPED HER UNTIL SHE DIED!" is clearly signs of some serious defect.

... why should I even bother offering a legitimate response? You and sbr have already decided how I'm going to respond. And on top of that, you've both completely disregarded my perfectly reasonable responses earlier in the thread in order to come to the conclusion that I was totally incapable of having a reasonable argument about this topic.

For the record, I thought the article was a great assertion of her beliefs with nothing to support it other than her personal experiences and her opinion. She didn't say anything that was of any real value to the discussion so far as I'm concerned. She said she didn't think it was an issue. She said that it's time to have a "real discussion" about the topic at hand, as if that hasn't already been going on for years. She said that she thought that there are teenagers out there that could reasonably decide to have sex with a teacher. Well, good for her. I disagree with all of her assertions, as I've said repeatedly.

Are there nuances to every situation? Of course. That's common sense. That doesn't change the fact that one has to have laws that fits the majority of the cases because you can't litigate nuances.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on September 02, 2013, 10:42:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2013, 10:29:01 PM
On a different note, I'm not sure why we should feel for individuals like Mr. Rambold when people take rape to mean that he forced this 14 year old to have sex.

Because she was a willing participant, and 100 years ago, it would have been okay. Besides, he didn't physically hurt her, so it doesn't actually count as rape. It's not damaging, just immoral.

Or something.
And not even immoral.  Just inappropriate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on September 03, 2013, 03:17:08 AM
Meri, do you think there are circumstances where an under age defendant should be tried as an adult?

No, I don't.

QuoteWhat about a person who is legally an adult, should they always be tried as an adult?

Yes.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on September 03, 2013, 07:56:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 03, 2013, 03:17:08 AM
Meri, do you think there are circumstances where an under age defendant should be tried as an adult?

No, I don't.

QuoteWhat about a person who is legally an adult, should they always be tried as an adult?

Yes.

So you don't believe in diminished capacity?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017