News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

IQ Estimates by College Major

Started by merithyn, August 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 11:06:47 AM
Since I already had a degree I already had most of the intro classes.

Is this a second Bachelor's for you, Valmy?

QuoteFirst day of class for me today BTW.  10 hours + two toddlers + working fulltime.  No freetime between here and December.

God love ya'. I'm handling six hours + two teenagers + working fulltime, and I'm almost hyperventilating with fear that I won't be able to keep up.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 11:10:45 AM

Yep.  Somehow that history degree was not propelling me forward in the work force.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 11:11:40 AM

Yep.  Somehow that history degree was not propelling me forward in the work force.

You know, I ran into the same problem! Who knew?!  :o

I decided yesterday to go for a full AS in Database Programming instead of just going for a Cert in Object-Oriented Programming. I feel like that will give me a bit more of a leg up when I start applying, and I get federal funding for it that way. Win-win!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 11:11:40 AM

What's the 2nd one for?

The Brain

You can never know too much history.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2013, 11:30:02 AM
What's the 2nd one for?

Electrical Engineering.  Somehow even at the time I knew this was what I wanted to do...I just didn't do it due to youthful idiocy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Not surprised at all the Comp Sci is not as highly rnaked in average IQ compared to actual "hard" sciences and engineering.

It is a rigorous major compared to non-science/engineering/math majors, but the reduced math requirements alone make it a lot easier compared to most hard sciences.

It doesn't get really tough until you get into actual computer science - the study of computing as an academic discipline rather than software engineering.

Software engineering from the standpoint of getting ready for a job in the field is not all that rigorous, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 12:33:20 PM

Software engineering from the standpoint of getting ready for a job in the field is not all that rigorous, IMO.

So far it seems about as hard as learning a second language to me. It takes time and effort to learn the syntax, but the actual programming isn't too tough. The more you practice, the better you get, and the more syntax you learn, the better you are at communicating with the computer.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 12:38:24 PM

So far it seems about as hard as learning a second language to me. It takes time and effort to learn the syntax, but the actual programming isn't too tough. The more you practice, the better you get, and the more syntax you learn, the better you are at communicating with the computer.

Well, kind of - the syntax is actually the easy part.

Once you get that down, actually learning how to write effective code, and how to organize problems in a manner that is conducive to an effective solution is the real trick to programming.

KISS. Make every discrete task as simple as possible.

0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on August 28, 2013, 12:43:51 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 12:38:24 PM

Well, kind of - the syntax is actually the easy part.

Once you get that down, actually learning how to write effective code, and how to organize problems in a manner that is conducive to an effective solution is the real trick to programming.

KISS. Make every discrete task as simple as possible.

That's the easy part for me. While everyone else is struggling with how to begin, I know what I want to do and even the easiest path to get there. What I struggle with is getting the syntax correct.

DGuller

Give it a couple of years.  I'm not saying that you'll change your mind, but the programming projects are going to get a hell of a lot harder than they must be right now.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Give it a couple of years.  I'm not saying that you'll change your mind, but the programming projects are going to get a hell of a lot harder than they must be right now.
Yeah, I don't want to argue it, but the complexity of the projects becomes the limiting factor in success pretty quickly, rather than any syntax.

Hell, once you've been doing it long enough, you don't even care all that much about languages and syntax.

The addage that 90% of *good* software engineering happens before you open the IDE becomes so totally true you don't even find it interesting anymore.

0 rows returned