Champaign, IL - Land of the truly whacked attacks

Started by merithyn, August 22, 2013, 10:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 09:26:02 PM
The student told police that a man at the airport had convinced him to skip his charter bus ride by offering to drive him to Urbana for $1,000.
:blink: :blink: :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on August 29, 2013, 02:56:12 PM
The student told police that a man at the airport had convinced him to skip his charter bus ride by offering to drive him to Urbana for $1,000.
:blink: :blink: :blink:

What does he know? He's a complete stranger to this part of the world, and our money is probably a lot like Monopoly money.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Generally wise to know something about potential prices before traveling somewhere.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

As a frame of reference, a bus ticket from O'Hare to Champaign/Urbana is ~$30.

QuoteAn 18-year-old U. of I. student from China reported at 11 a.m. Tuesday that a man who had given him a ride to campus from O'Hare International Airport in Chicago had significantly overcharged him. The student told police that a man at the airport had convinced him to skip his charter bus ride by offering to drive him to Urbana for $1,000. The student paid the money, but the driver demanded another $3,800 when they arrived in Urbana.  The student only had $4,200 in cash and said he paid the man out of fear of losing his luggage. The student said he also left his phone, valued at $650, inside the vehicle. The student provided a description of the man and the vehicle to U. of I. Police and officers have contacted the Chicago Police Department as part of their theft investigation.

Also, apparently there were six armed robberies on campus last night, one right after the other. Three with guns, three with.. something else.

Dumb people get greedy.  A $1000 for a ride is obviously preposterous, but contract = contract.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 03:13:24 PM
What does he know? He's a complete stranger to this part of the world, and our money is probably a lot like Monopoly money.

He still knows that this one ride is costing him around a fifth of his entire grub stake.