Massive use of chemical weapons in Syria, 1,429 killed including 426 children

Started by jimmy olsen, August 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2013, 09:37:24 AM
And that's the great thing about it:  it's low risk with the added PR bonus that "we did something about chemical weapons RAWR".
No one's buying that. They didn't with Clinton, they won't now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2013, 09:39:58 AM
Doesn't have to be effective to be considered intervention.

Then by that definition we're already intervening, since we've got multiple levels of ineffective economic and trade sanctions in place against the Syrian government.  A few cruise missiles will just be the icing on the cupcake, so you don't have to sweat whether we'd be intervening or not, since we already are.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2013, 09:44:11 AM

Then by that definition we're already intervening, since we've got multiple levels of ineffective economic and trade sanctions in place against the Syrian government.  A few cruise missiles will just be the icing on the cupcake, so you don't have to sweat whether we'd be intervening or not, since we already are.

One might say we're intervening indirectly.  Launching cruise missiles or dropping bombs and blowing things up is direct intervention. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2013, 09:48:04 AM
One might say we're intervening indirectly.  Launching cruise missiles or dropping bombs and blowing things up is direct intervention.

OK, kitten.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

You just, like, described the last 50 years of American foreign policy!

Ed Anger

That's it. Kerry just waved Uncle Sam's wang on TV.

BONER DEFCON 1.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: E :mad:d Anger on August 30, 2013, 12:13:25 PM
That's it. Kerry just waved Uncle Sam's wang on TV.

BONER DEFCON 1.

That settle it, you need to get a certificate of sanity from the looney bin before making any life changing decisions. Kerry as rabid warmonger? You might be seeing things that are not there.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on August 30, 2013, 09:42:20 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2013, 09:37:24 AM
And that's the great thing about it:  it's low risk with the added PR bonus that "we did something about chemical weapons RAWR".
No one's buying that. They didn't with Clinton, they won't now.

Serbs sure did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive