Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Oh really, I wonder how they calculate that? :yeahright:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30998907/
QuoteClimate-change death toll put at 300,000 a year
Think-tank releases findings before talks to discuss global emissions treaty

AP
updated 25 minutes ago

LONDON - Climate-change disasters kill around 300,000 people a year and cause about $125 billion in economic losses, mainly from agriculture, a think-tank led by former U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan reported Friday.

The Global Humanitarian Forum also estimated that 325 million people are seriously affected by climate change — a number it says will double by 2030, as more people are hit by natural disasters or suffer environmental degradation caused by climate change.

"Climate change is a silent human crisis," Annan said in a statement. "Yet it is the greatest emerging humanitarian challenge of our time."

The report suggests that rising sea levels, desertification and changing rainfall patterns are reducing many people's access to safe drinking water and food. This in turn increases diarrhea, malaria and malnutrition.

The report said 99 percent of all people who die due to climate-change related causes live in developing countries, even though those countries generate less than 1 percent of total emissions of greenhouse gases responsible for global warming.

The report used existing data on weather-related disasters, population trends and economic forecasts to draw its conclusions. It was released ahead of climate change talks in Bonn, Germany, next week, that are to lead to a possible new global treaty on cutting greenhouse gas emissions in Copenhagen in December.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 10:37:16 AM

If you are interested find their report and find out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I bet natural causes kills a lot more each year, and nobody worries too much about that...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

Sure.

Lets commit mass suicide and leave Earth to the animals.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Since nothing can be done about it, who cares?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: PDH on May 29, 2009, 10:42:16 AM
I bet natural causes kills a lot more each year, and nobody worries too much about that...

What's natural causes?
Old age?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on May 29, 2009, 10:42:51 AM
Sure.

Lets commit mass suicide and leave Earth to the animals.

I've long suspected your PETA predilections.
PDH!

Siege

Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2009, 10:43:09 AM
Since nothing can be done about it, who cares?

There is something we can do.

We can send you to the South Pole without supplies.

saskganesh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 10:37:16 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30998907/
Climate-change death toll put at 300,000 a year

actuarians. same way they calculate your insurance premiums.

QuoteThe approach of comparing the trends in weather-related and geophysical disasters is based on an analysis of loss-generating events in the publication Journal of Flood Risk.416 The article states that by "Assuming the socio-economic driving factors behind loss-generating events to be the same for all causes, the difference is likely to be due to climate change". The validity of the approach has beenreviewed with a number of experts. While it is a rough approach, particularly on shorter time series,
it is seen as comparatively strong. Alternative analyses of number of affected, recorded losses ofproperty and insured losses are associated with greater uncertainty than the frequency of events.

http://assets.ghf-ge.org/downloads/methodology.pdf
humans were created in their own image

Hansmeister

How can this be when the globe has in fact been cooling for the last decade?

Faeelin

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 29, 2009, 05:06:29 PM

How can this be when so many of the last ten years have been the warmest on record?

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/

saskganesh

clearly nasa works for the insurance agency conspiracy.
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 29, 2009, 05:06:29 PM

Well the report did just say 'climate change'.  Last I checked cooling was also a change in climate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."