Started by jimmy olsen, May 29, 2009, 10:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on May 29, 2009, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 10:37:16 AM
Oh really, I wonder how they calculate that? :yeahright:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30998907/
Climate-change death toll put at 300,000 a year

actuarians. same way they calculate your insurance premiums.

QuoteThe approach of comparing the trends in weather-related and geophysical disasters is based on an analysis of loss-generating events in the publication Journal of Flood Risk.416 The article states that by "Assuming the socio-economic driving factors behind loss-generating events to be the same for all causes, the difference is likely to be due to climate change". The validity of the approach has beenreviewed with a number of experts. While it is a rough approach, particularly on shorter time series,
it is seen as comparatively strong. Alternative analyses of number of affected, recorded losses ofproperty and insured losses are associated with greater uncertainty than the frequency of events.

http://assets.ghf-ge.org/downloads/methodology.pdf

Next year 184 million of us will suffer from diarrhoea because of climate change. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on May 29, 2009, 10:42:51 AM
Sure.

Lets commit mass suicide and leave Earth to the animals.

Lead by example.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 29, 2009, 11:08:42 PM
Sure.

Lead by example.

He may be crazy, but we need the guy. Unless you want to take his place on the front. :p
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:19:22 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 29, 2009, 11:08:42 PM
Sure.

Lead by example.

He may be crazy, but we need the guy. Unless you want to take his place on the front. :p

Do we really?  He's a Calley waiting to go My Lai
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 29, 2009, 10:45:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2009, 10:43:09 AM
Since nothing can be done about it, who cares?

There is something we can do.

We can send you to the South Pole without supplies.
That is unlikely to do any good.  Although I've always wanted to visit Mount Erebus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Be sure to go by plane to enjoy the scenery.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Some climate change is "normal", and some is definitely man-made, or most likely American-made or Chinese-made or Norwegian-made. I would like to know how many a year I personally kill and how many farmers I put out of business.

saskganesh

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:04:20 PM

QuoteThe approach of comparing the trends in weather-related and geophysical disasters is based on an analysis of loss-generating events in the publication Journal of Flood Risk.416 The article states that by "Assuming the socio-economic driving factors behind loss-generating events to be the same for all causes, the difference is likely to be due to climate change". The validity of the approach has beenreviewed with a number of experts. While it is a rough approach, particularly on shorter time series,
it is seen as comparatively strong. Alternative analyses of number of affected, recorded losses ofproperty and insured losses are associated with greater uncertainty than the frequency of events.

Next year 184 million of us will suffer from diarrhoea because of climate change. :(

maybe not 184 million, but a lack of clean water do to a ecosytemic collapse would fuck with many intestines.
humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on May 30, 2009, 01:00:11 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 11:04:20 PM

maybe not 184 million, but a lack of clean water do to a ecosytemic collapse would fuck with many intestines.

I didn't make that up--page 90 of the report projects 182 million will suffer diarrhoea as a result of climate change, and 94 thousand of those will die (I must have made a mistake when I wrote 184 million).