Main Menu

Happy Earth Overshoot Day!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 20, 2013, 07:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 09:36:05 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2013, 09:35:08 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 09:11:00 AM
I try to buy the sustainable fish for eatin'. Although Larch jumped on me forecasting tilapia. Weirdo.

I already told you that I had mistaken tilapia for panga, jeeez. Anyway, even if tilapia is indeed sustainable-ish for being a herbivore fish, it's not that sustainable to fly it all the way from Asia or Africa, where it is normally farmed.

I'm still going to hold your initial mistake over your head.

You enjoy holding grudges, right?

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 09:37:08 AM
And tilapia is also farmed in the US and Canada.

The production is tiny in the US, 76% of all tilapia comes form China, Philipines, Indonesia, Taiwan and Thailand.

I doubt that it's farmed at all in Canada, it needs of fairly warm waters to grow.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2013, 09:38:35 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 09:36:05 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2013, 09:35:08 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 09:11:00 AM
I try to buy the sustainable fish for eatin'. Although Larch jumped on me forecasting tilapia. Weirdo.

I already told you that I had mistaken tilapia for panga, jeeez. Anyway, even if tilapia is indeed sustainable-ish for being a herbivore fish, it's not that sustainable to fly it all the way from Asia or Africa, where it is normally farmed.

I'm still going to hold your initial mistake over your head.

You enjoy holding grudges, right?

It's a friendly grudge.

And yes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2013, 08:24:41 AM
What is this another hippie Greenpeace holiday? If only we'd all been wise enough to participate in Earth Hour. :(

The Earth hates you right back.

Maximus

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2013, 09:41:21 AM

The production is tiny in the US, 76% of all tilapia comes form China, Philipines, Indonesia, Taiwan and Thailand.

I doubt that it's farmed at all in Canada, it needs of fairly warm waters to grow.
They are farmed indoors

The Larch

Quote from: Maximus on August 20, 2013, 09:44:56 AM

They are farmed indoors

Doesn't seem really logical or profitable at first glance, you'd need to keep the water warm for the fishes to grow properly, that must be a huge energy expense.

Maximus

*shrug*

I'm no expert but I imagine it is similar to hothouse fruits and vegetables, ie the heating cost may be less than transportation cost.

Apparently it scales down pretty well. I have heard of small-scale tilapia farms being run in basements, fed off kitchen waste.

derspiess

BUT THATS KITCHEN WASTE THAT COULD"VE GONE TOWARDS SOMETHING MORE SUNSTAINABLE OR SOMETHING
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Ok, I guess that small scale it can work, also if you already have a source of heat and/or warm water available (waste heat from industry or something) it'd make things much easier.

Ed Anger

I'm just trying to imagine Canadian kitchen waste.

Half eaten poutine, a bucket of pucks, shredded Canadian Tire money and a flannel shirt with moose blood on it

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2013, 09:49:29 AM
Quote from: Maximus on August 20, 2013, 09:44:56 AM

They are farmed indoors

Doesn't seem really logical or profitable at first glance, you'd need to keep the water warm for the fishes to grow properly, that must be a huge energy expense.

It's Canada, all farming requires a lot of energy.

http://www.aquaculture.ca/files/species-tilapia.php
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2013, 10:01:43 AM

Half eaten poutine, a bucket of pucks, shredded Canadian Tire money and a flannel shirt with moose blood on it

You forgot stale Timbits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2013, 10:02:47 AM

You forgot stale Timbits.

Here we go again insulting Tim.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Eddie Teach

Nonsense, that shirt can just be washed and worn again.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?