How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: Malthus on August 30, 2013, 04:31:13 PM

I'm unsure what motivates this. The rhetoric in the past was that Sikhs and Muslims etc. could become french-Canadians by the simple expedient of having Canadian citizenship, living in Quebec, and speaking French.

Instead of trying to divine this all by your lonesome self you should actually listen to those who live it and are trying to explain it to you...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 30, 2013, 07:44:00 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 30, 2013, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 30, 2013, 04:23:24 PM
The current proposed legislation isn't about language, though. It's about religious headgear and the like.

The fear is not that they will be assimilated by the Anglos, but that they will be assimilated by the Muslims. Which fear would apply equally no non-French speakers.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but I took it as there fear was being splintered further (and then easier for the Anglos to pick them off ;) .)  Forcing the Sikhs and Muslims to become French Canadian gives them more numbers.

I'm unsure what motivates this. The rhetoric in the past was that Sikhs and Muslims etc. could become french-Canadians by the simple expedient of having Canadian citizenship, living in Quebec, and speaking French.

I read a survey, that I cant seem to find anymore, that asked whether the host society should adapt to the immigrants coming in or that the immigrants should adapt to the host society.

ROC : 45% Host society should adapt.
Quebec : 24% Host society should adapt.

It seems it is something you will never understand.

Interesting that it should be phrased as a dichotomy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on August 30, 2013, 07:57:36 PM

Instead of trying to divine this all by your lonesome self you should actually listen to those who live it and are trying to explain it to you...

G.

Fine. What's your explaination?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quebecois have vandalized a mosque and demanded that all muslims leave the province.  Grallon has not yet been arrested.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 02, 2013, 10:17:19 AM

It's strange that simply tolerating someone is "forcing to adapt".  What were people in Quebec doing before?  Killing them in the streets?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Your response proves his point... You don't don't seem willing - or capable - to understand.  Quebecers are *not* Canadians in the same way you guys are Canadians.  For you being Canadian is expressing your primary or overarching identity - for us - merely an accessory or secondary one.  Continue dismissing this fact as 'tribalism' and you will continue missing the point...  This thread, and many others where we discuss Quebec nationalism/culture/identity - contains all the answers you need if you are willing to put aside your blinders.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on September 02, 2013, 07:38:47 PM

Your response proves his point... You don't don't seem willing - or capable - to understand.  Quebecers are *not* Canadians in the same way you guys are Canadians.  For you being Canadian is expressing your primary or overarching identity - for us - merely an accessory or secondary one.  Continue dismissing this fact as 'tribalism' and you will continue missing the point...  This thread, and many others where we discuss Quebec nationalism/culture/identity - contains all the answers you need if you are willing to put aside your blinders.

G.

It's also possible that he understands it perfectly, and you simply don't want to admit that your views are simple tribalism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grallon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2013, 07:40:32 PM

It's also possible that he understands it perfectly, and you simply don't want to admit that your views are simple tribalism.

Nurse!  He's escaped again confinement again!

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on September 02, 2013, 07:44:08 PM

Nurse!  He's escaped again confinement again!

G.

I suppose the idea that someone can understand what you are saying, but totally reject it is beyond you.

Crazy_Ivan80

G.

both views are tribalism if you think about it

Razgovory

It's tribalism to understand what someone says, and not agree with it?

Malthus

G.

My point is that it is odd that the issue should be phrased as 'either immigrants adapt to us, or all of society adapts to them'. Naturally, given these two choices, most would prefer that immigrants adapt. It is however a 'false dilemma', as it deliberately excludes other choices (such as that the immigrants not adapt and society not adapt to them, or that the immigrants adapt in some ways but not in others, and society accomodate them but only up to a point).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

QuoteFalse dilemma can arise intentionally, when fallacy is used in an attempt to force a choice (such as, in some contexts, the assertion that "if you are not with us, you are against us").

This is a perfect example of a particular type of informal logical fallacy. I really don't know what *you* are going on about; *I* was commenting on the survey question.