Richard Dawkins criticised for Twitter comment about Muslims

Started by Siege, August 11, 2013, 12:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I think we may have a long wait before we get a good crop of Islamic comedians  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 12, 2013, 11:09:33 AM
I think we may have a long wait before we get a good crop of Islamic comedians  :hmm:

There is/was a group of Muslim comics doing a tour which made it to cable.  I never watched it.

Josquius

Islam is  a bit more of a real religion than Mormonism though ;)
And  it is very tied into ethnicity. In the UK especially.

I'm not saying it's not allowed to criticise other religions. It is however different for an outsider to criticise than an insider to do so. As an insider anything goes, as an outsider you do have to be a bit more careful you've got your facts  straight and you're not being offensive.
It's just common social convention. A brit moans about Britain being shit... well that's what  we do. It's what being British is all about. A foreigner does the same however and he's not moaning with us, he's moaning at us
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

As an insider you get fatwaed and a bounty put on your head.  :lol:

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on August 12, 2013, 10:40:22 AM
Quote"

But some users appeared more forgiving. @Chriss_m, said: "Dawkins spent the best part of 10 years attacking Christianity and not raising an eyebrow. He now turns that same eye on Islam and uproar."

Dawkins is a ethnic Brit and ex-Christian ergo he is totally entitled to bash Christianity all he likes. He's a complete outsider to Islam.
Sorry right wing poor oppressed Christianity moaners but your complaint doesn't work.

The way Twitter comments are all over the news lately rather annoys me

Does it follow that ethnic and philosophical outsiders should not bash or criticize the west or it's actions then as well? If only ethnic muslims (whatever the fuck that might be) or ex-muslims were allowed to bash islam... oh, well, you see where I'm going.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on August 12, 2013, 11:11:09 AM

Is the "it" you are referring to Muslims and if so what ethnicity are Muslims in the UK?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2013, 11:12:02 AM
That's their doing. It's not the British way. :contract:

Though I'm not so sire that's always the case. Constructive criticism from within, even with very conservative groups, works better than outsiders shouting a  them to change their ways.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2013, 11:10:52 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 12, 2013, 11:09:33 AM

There is/was a group of Muslim comics doing a tour which made it to cable.  I never watched it.

I keep on intending to buy that Iranian novel which is supposed to be hilarious, My Uncle Napoleon, in fact I'll order it now while my mind is on it.

Viking

I'm not saying it's not allowed to criticise other religions. It is however different for an outsider to criticise than an insider to do so. As an insider anything goes, as an outsider you do have to be a bit more careful you've got your facts  straight and you're not being offensive.
It's just common social convention. A brit moans about Britain being shit... well that's what  we do. It's what being British is all about. A foreigner does the same however and he's not moaning with us, he's moaning at us

WTF Tyr? Humans are Humans for fucks sake. The Identity politics and Cultural Relativism of today's multi-culturalism is not only vapid and immoral but also actively deprives people grouped into these identity groups of their individual human rights.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on August 12, 2013, 11:14:50 AM
Constructive criticism from within, even with very conservative groups, works better than outsiders shouting a  them to change their ways.

Where does internal criticism come from within very conservative groups who, by definition, would be very reluctant to make any changes and by extension even contemplate such changes.

Josquius

Muslim  comics.... omid djahili and shappi whatsherface were ok for  a while but their act grew old. :(

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2013, 11:13:43 AM

Is the "it" you are referring to Muslims and if so what ethnicity are Muslims in the UK?

Mostly Asian up my way.
Nigerian and Somali are big groups elsewhere.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2013, 11:12:02 AM
That's their doing. It's not the British way. :contract:

Though I'm not so sire that's always the case. Constructive criticism from within, even with very conservative groups, works better than outsiders shouting a  them to change their ways.

Yeah, cause that worked so well on the Nazis and Communists.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2013, 11:17:04 AM
Constructive criticism from within, even with very conservative groups, works better than outsiders shouting a  them to change their ways.

Where does internal criticism come from within very conservative groups who, by definition, would be very reluctant to make any changes and by extension even contemplate such changes.

Kids realising how fucked up things are I guess.
You do increasingly see liberal Muslim groups in the west.
Though I've no idea where on earth this is going, it has all rather veered away from the original point :s
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

it's not that odd.
A young merchant on the periphery of the great civilizations of the day hears voices from God and claims to have received the revelation of a new scripture that will complete and cap the revelations of the old monotheistic faiths.  Those who accept the new faith will achieve a worldly paradise in the afterlife.

Wait now I forgot which one I was talking about.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson