Richard Dawkins criticised for Twitter comment about Muslims

Started by Siege, August 11, 2013, 12:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2013, 05:02:24 AM
also there is an other thing here which is spot on: this guy has been trashing Christianity regularly, and nobody gave a damn. He makes one comment on Islam and gets all this shit thrown at him.

And, as a teacher of mine once said: you can only be offended about something that is true.

Yes, clearly nobody gave a damn. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Isn't snark like Dawkins posted the entire purpose of Twitter?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2013, 03:22:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2013, 07:50:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2013, 07:38:37 PM
I think it's quite obvious.  Islam has stultified intellectual inquiry in the Muslim world.
But how does he actually make that point?

As it is it just looks like the 'look what happened to Greeks/Romans' argument against gay marriage. It seems maybe slightly interesting but totally off-point.

There was something mentioned about some islam people claiming "BUT LOOK AT OUR SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENTS ZOMG!!!!1111oneoneoneone" and Dawkins merely pointed out: "what scientific achievments"

Actually I believe what he said was that we so often hear about their scientific accomplishments. Pretty freaking weak.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

I thought Dawkins was supposed to be an atheist, but looks like he just proved that a mass conversion to Judaism would lead to huge scientific and cultural advances.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 12, 2013, 09:04:42 AM
I thought Dawkins was supposed to be an atheist, but looks like he just proved that a mass conversion to Judaism would lead to huge scientific and cultural advances.

:D

Josquius

Quote"

But some users appeared more forgiving. @Chriss_m, said: "Dawkins spent the best part of 10 years attacking Christianity and not raising an eyebrow. He now turns that same eye on Islam and uproar."

Dawkins is a ethnic Brit and ex-Christian ergo he is totally entitled to bash Christianity all he likes. He's a complete outsider to Islam.
Sorry right wing poor oppressed Christianity moaners but your complaint doesn't work.

The way Twitter comments are all over the news lately rather annoys me
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 12, 2013, 10:40:22 AM
Dawkins is a ethnic Brit and ex-Christian ergo he is totally entitled to bash Christianity all he likes. He's a complete outsider to Islam.
Sorry right wing poor oppressed Christianity moaners but your complaint doesn't work.

Would this same logic extend to, say, ex-pat Brits bashing the US?  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Agreed.

The medium really has become the message.  Its very inexpensive for new agencies to create content from social media.  Much more difficult and expensive to send reporters out to find what used to be considered real news.

The Minsky Moment

Think for a bit about the implications of what you are saying here.  Are you really claiming that only an insider is permitted to be critical?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 12, 2013, 10:48:19 AM

Agreed.

The medium really has become the message.  Its very inexpensive for new agencies to create content from social media.  Much more difficult and expensive to send reporters out to find what used to be considered real news.

Yes indeed. The flawed re-election of Mugabe received far less attention in the British media last week than a buffoon referring to "Bongo Bongo land".

One is a gibbering no-account asshat stuck in the 1940s, the other is a nasty dictator stuck in the 1940s who has buggered the lives of millions of people.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 12, 2013, 10:53:08 AM

Think for a bit about the implications of what you are saying here.  Are you really claiming that only an insider is permitted to be critical?

No. That's not what I'm claiming. It is a very different sort of criticism however. Particularly with stuff like religion and ethnicity, I.e. Jewish or black comedians telling a joke about their folks vs. A white Christian guy doing the same.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Islam is not an ethnicity though - Dawkins is right about that part. 
And it's hard to think of something that gets more criticized by outsiders than religion.  Whether by other religions or by non-believers.
One of most successful plays on Broadway is a three hour full bore mockery of Mormonism.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 12, 2013, 10:57:16 AM
No. That's not what I'm claiming. It is a very different sort of criticism however. Particularly with stuff like religion and ethnicity, I.e. Jewish or black comedians telling a joke about their folks vs. A white Christian guy doing the same.

Black comedians tell jokes about "white people" (generally only applicable to upper middle class urbanites) all the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?