What could possibly replace Darwinian Evolution?

Started by Razgovory, August 08, 2013, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Next question:  what could possibly replace alchemy?l
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2013, 05:46:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2013, 04:56:56 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2013, 04:54:52 PM
actually if Aristotle had know of mutation, inheritance and selection then in addition to the observed similarity of living things, yes, he too would have gotten to evolution. How do I know this? Because that's all that Darwin had.

Didnt Darwin go on some voyage or other on some boat to you know, check things out a bit?

Indeed
Mutation and inheritance were things he observed, selection was an inference he drew to explain observations.

I am actually very surprised that viking of all people is trying to downplay the significance of observation and empirical inquiry and trying to position the natural sciences as a branch of a priori logic.

I'm not downplaying the significance of empiricism. I'm saying that given mutation, inheritance and selection then evolution follows. I'm not proposing an alternative scientific method. I'm saying that given these premises evolution is the logical consequence. Before darwin (even by aristotles contemporaries) evolution was observed. The same applies to inheritance, sons look like their fathers and baby horses grow up to be adult horses. Had aristotle had mutation and selection (selection was darwin's contribution) he too could have deduced evolution. The scientific method works backwards, it observes evolution, proposes explanations, uses those explanations to make predictions and then tests the predictions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

fhdz

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2013, 03:47:18 PM

Wait, wait, I've got this one...

It was a short-lived movement to try and build on the successes of alchemists turning lead into gold; they instead attempted to turn lead into drinking water. Final score: Science 1, Alchemists 0.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: fhdz on August 09, 2013, 04:35:36 PM

Wait, wait, I've got this one...

It was a short-lived movement to try and build on the successes of alchemists turning lead into gold; they instead attempted to turn lead into drinking water. Final score: Science 1, Alchemists 0.

Having done his scientific training under Zosimos of Panopolis Grumbler has you at somewhat of a disadvantage.

lustindarkness

It evolved into chemistry and medicine, and based on current medical and pharmacy, they have figured out how to turn sick people to gold. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

fhdz

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 09, 2013, 05:05:01 PM
It evolved into chemistry and medicine, and based on current medical and pharmacy, they have figured out how to turn sick people to gold. :(

Lusti wins.
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 09, 2013, 05:05:01 PM

This is rather fucking brilliant. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 08, 2013, 08:24:46 AM
I don't think we should be so quick to discount the alien experiment origin theory.

This just another version of creationism.

I see nothing wrong with original creationism to required a modern version.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Siege on August 09, 2013, 06:55:24 PM
Lustins rules this thread with an iron fist.

I thought he ruled this thread with a rapier wit.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.