What could possibly replace Darwinian Evolution?

Started by Razgovory, August 08, 2013, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2013, 08:28:34 AM
:mellow:  Okay, since Viking is only interested in insulting me and attributing ideas to me that I was not propagating, perhaps he could leave this thread alone.

It's Viking and you decided to discuss one "his topics". :(

Somebody should figure out a way to introduce deep sea drilling and Catholic doctrine into the mix as well.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2013, 09:20:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2013, 08:28:34 AM
:mellow:  Okay, since Viking is only interested in insulting me and attributing ideas to me that I was not propagating, perhaps he could leave this thread alone.

It's Viking and you decided to discuss one "his topics". :(

Somebody should figure out a way to introduce deep sea drilling and Catholic doctrine into the mix as well.

Reach deep into my oil well and feel my holy water? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Witchy, esoteric, inscrutable, recondite, diabolical.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 08, 2013, 10:07:12 AM
Witchy, esoteric, inscrutable, recondite, diabolical.

You know me better, I am certainly not Witchy, esoteric or diabolical. Inscrutability lies in the eyes of the beholder and I don't know what recondite means.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2013, 09:16:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2013, 08:48:20 AM

Seriously, you asked me to leave this thread alone, I agreed to do so. They you take the opportunity to post at me. Do you want me to leave this thread alone or do you want me to say what I really think?

If you can be constructive, then by all means post.  If you want to ascribe to me things I never said, and go of on strange tangents, then no.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2013, 07:45:35 AM
Something I had been thinking about lately.  What could possibly replace Darwinian Evolution?  I'm not talking about something silly like creationism, or something philosophical like Intelligent Design, but an actual scientific theory.  Critics of Darwin like to point out that Evolution is only a "theory".  While it seems clear a lot of the people who say things like this don't seem to understand what "theory" means in a scientific context, they do have a point, albeit a small one.  All scientific theories are subject to change, refinement and occasionally total overthrow.

There have been and will continue to be numerous refinements to the theory of evolution, but I don't see anything overthrowing it completely - that would stand in contrast to all the evidence in its favor, which would be highly unscientific.
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

The central concept of pressures leading to selection isn't likely to go anywhere, since it's a logical feature of any dynamic system.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2013, 12:47:37 PM
The central concept of pressures leading to selection isn't likely to go anywhere, since it's a logical feature of any dynamic system.

:yes:
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Maybe there will be a new paradigm? Evolution in its present form is very white male. When we get ethnic women scientists they may discover a different truth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

It's not a logical feature, it is an empirical one.  And what makes evolution so robust as a theory of biology is not its inherent logic but its ability to explain the empirical evidence. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 08, 2013, 01:09:14 PM

It's not a logical feature, it is an empirical one.  And what makes evolution so robust as a theory of biology is not its inherent logic but its ability to explain the empirical evidence.

Do note that virtually all the logical deductions about evolution are axiomatic. When you have the very idea of

1 - inheritance of properties
2 - interaction with the world affecting likelihood of reproduction
3 - random mutation

the theory of evolution is virtually axiomatic with these premises. To get to a new paradigm here you need to strike down one of these premises with facts and then you will need to change the rest of science because it basically confirms all three of these premises.

The Minsky Moment

There's nothing about any of those three premises that is a logical necessity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson