News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Seriously, This Is As Bad As The Nazis.

Started by mongers, August 07, 2013, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 03:36:50 PM
I think this general trend is very interesting. In the old days, say a 100 years ago, Western cultural superiority led to racism against lesser countries. Over time we started to disapprove of all that and "cultural imperialism" became a dirty phrase.

But now it has come back in a new form where feminists and LGBT equality campaigners are in the vanguard of efforts to make some countries more civilised  :hmm:

Some things never change

QuoteThe White Man's Burden

TAKE up the White Man's burden -
Send forth the best ye breed -
Go bind your sons to exile
To serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness
On fluttered folk and wild -
Your new-caught sullen peoples,
Half devil and half child.
Take up the White Man's burden -
In patience to abide
To veil the threat of terror
And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple,
An hundred times made plain,
To seek another's profit,
And work another's gain.

The savage wars of peace -
Fill full the mouth of famine
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
The end for others sought,
Watch Sloth and heathen Folly
Bring all your hopes to nought.

No tawdry rule of kings,
But toil of serf and sweeper -
The tale of common things.
The ports ye shall not enter,
The roads ye shall not tread,
Go make them with your living,
And mark them with your dead !

And reap his old reward,
The blame of those ye better,
The hate of those ye guard -
The cry of hosts ye humour
(Ah slowly !) towards the light:-
"Why brought ye us from bondage,
"Our loved Egyptian night ?"

Ye dare not stoop to less -
Nor call too loud on Freedom
To cloak your weariness;
By all ye cry or whisper,
By all ye leave or do,
The silent sullen peoples
Shall weigh your Gods and you.

Have done with childish days -
The lightly proffered laurel,
The easy, ungrudged praise.
Comes now, to search your manhood
Through all the thankless years,
Cold-edged with dear-bought wisdom,
The judgement of your peers.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2013, 03:37:32 PM
That's a poorly conceived boycott mongers.  The Gulf states would not know they were being boycotted.  If you somehow managed to get the whole world on board, it would impact non-Gulf producers as well.  Even more so, since the cheapest oil to pump is in the Gulf.

Besides, what kind of principled message are you sending by cutting consumption of a morally tainted product by 5%?

Well obviously they'd have to do more, like mount pickets outside embassies, petrol refineries dealing with the 'tainted' product etc  :cool:

Oils fine, just some of it comes from politically dubious sources, the 5% figure was just plucked out of the air as my guess at what proportion of gas comes from Saudi. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 03:36:50 PM
I think this general trend is very interesting. In the old days, say a 100 years ago, Western cultural superiority led to racism against lesser countries. Over time we started to disapprove of all that and "cultural imperialism" became a dirty phrase.

But now it has come back in a new form where feminists and LGBT equality campaigners are in the vanguard of efforts to make some countries more civilised  :hmm:

It's pretty consistent if you look at it from the point of view that universal human rights are, indeed, universal; and that cultural self-determination is a good (or a right), to the extent that it does not otherwise abridge individual human rights.

Of course, it gets a bit messy when people start using that language for various political, personal, and rhetorical end; life's like that.

I mean, if you want to you can probably crowbar universal human rights into a "white mans burden" narrative, but I'd consider it a little suspect and you'd have to file off some important bits and bobs along the way.

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 03:48:50 PMOils fine, just some of it comes from politically dubious sources, the 5% figure was just plucked out of the air as my guess at what proportion of gas comes from Saudi.

That's a bit like refusing to accept 5% of the money you're due, on the principle that somewhere down the line it comes from an ideologically unsound entity.

Ed Anger

Alex Ovechkin might win something if there is a boycott. Finally.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

I don't see an obvious way for us to determine a set of human rights that are universal. We have our own opinions about what these rights should be of course, but our opinions are essentially parochial.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 03:56:50 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 03:48:50 PMOils fine, just some of it comes from politically dubious sources, the 5% figure was just plucked out of the air as my guess at what proportion of gas comes from Saudi.

That's a bit like refusing to accept 5% of the money you're due, on the principle that somewhere down the line it comes from an ideologically unsound entity.

Jacob, I wouldn't say that as with oil its fairly simple to guess were your petrol has come from in terms of proportions.  Here in Europe a large chunk of what fills your car tank will come from the Gulf/Saudi, with much of the rest being made up of the light oils from the North Sea fields. 

Of course with natural gas it's much easier, perhaps a third of it will come from Putinland; want to protest his regimes bad record, why don't us Europeans turn the down our thermostats by 3-4C ? :unsure:

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 07, 2013, 04:03:23 PM
I don't see an obvious way for us to determine a set of human rights that are universal. We have our own opinions about what these rights should be of course, but our opinions are essentially parochial.

I don't agree.

There can be legitimate disagreement about the exact content of just laws, but the basics are simply a working-out of the ethic of reciprocity, which is found in essentially all human cultures.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 04:05:30 PM
Jacob, I wouldn't say that as with oil its fairly simple to guess were your petrol has come from in terms of proportions.  Here in Europe a large chunk of what fills your car tank will come from the Gulf/Saudi, with much of the rest being made up of the light oils from the North Sea fields. 

Of course with natural gas it's much easier, perhaps a third of it will come from Putinland; want to protest his regimes bad record, why don't us Europeans turn the down our thermostats by 3-4C ? :unsure:

Sure you can guess that, and you can do that, but it doesn't really address my point.

If you turn down your natural gas consumption by 33% you're not cutting out the stuff you're getting from Russia. You're using 33% less of your total consumption from whatever sources while still getting 1/3rd of your natural gas from Putin's crew.

Thus the number you're proposing is non-sensical.

Sheilbh

I agree.

This is only get more controversial. Sochi, but then the World Cups in Russia and Qatar...
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

This isn't a bad place to start: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

It's a political document, obviously, but with a fairly broad based provenance.

You could go a bit simpler - no one should be persecuted for who they are and for expressing their identity, as long as such self-expression does not hurt others or abridge their rights.

alfred russel

An olympic boycott isn't going to happen. But making a fuss can still have an impact: the Olympic Committee will be reluctant to give the games to such countries in the future.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2013, 04:14:25 PM
I agree.

This is only get more controversial. Sochi, but then the World Cups in Russia and Qatar...

Qatar has already been getting mentions in articles about this, that I've seen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 04:12:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 04:05:30 PM

Sure you can guess that, and you can do that, but it doesn't really address my point.

If you turn down your natural gas consumption by 33% you're not cutting out the stuff you're getting from Russia. You're using 33% less of your total consumption from whatever sources while still getting 1/3rd of your natural gas from Putin's crew.

Thus the number you're proposing is non-sensical.

Not strictly true as if you reduce total natural gas usage, then I suspect as Putin's Russia gets more unreliable over time, western companies might have a preference for signing long term contracts with non-Russian sources.

Which is another reason why I'm not against shale gas, as it might both reduce costs and our dependency on unsavoury regimes like Russia, Saudi et al. 

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2013, 04:14:57 PM

This isn't a bad place to start: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

It's a political document, obviously, but with a fairly broad based provenance.

You could go a bit simpler - no one should be persecuted for who they are and for expressing their identity, as long as such self-expression does not hurt others or abridge their rights.

It is a worthy document that I agree with, at least in general. The problem is that most people would seem to disagree with it if we take a global view, so why are we right and they are wrong?