News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Seriously, This Is As Bad As The Nazis.

Started by mongers, August 07, 2013, 01:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 02:24:54 PM
The problem is that it is an easy rhetorical way to cheapen/negate his remarks.

Sure, but the blame for that goes to Fry for using the analogy in the first place.  I like Fry but he overstepped slightly here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on August 07, 2013, 02:35:21 PM
Sounds like both a reasonable comparison (persecution of homosexuals in Nazi Germany maybe about 1934, got worse after that, and Russia right now seems to be comparable) and a reasonable petition to the politicians. Russia does indeed not seem fit to house what should be festival of humanities diversity, not of discrimination.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

What are gay rights like and the life of a gay person worth in Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Arab gulf ? 

Not heard of those places, they're where some of the oil and gas we use comes from.

Maybe if life isn't good for a gay person there, then people could organize a boycott of their energy resources. Like cutting back your car mileage by 5,10 or 20 percent ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 03:05:41 PM
What are gay rights like and the life of a gay person worth in Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Arab gulf ? 

Not heard of those places, they're where some of the oil and gas we us comes from.

Maybe if life isn't good for a gay person there, then people could organize a boycott of their energy resources. Like cutting back your car mileage by 5,10 or 20 percent ?

This is a strange post even for you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2013, 02:46:28 PM
Why is this time different?  Homosexuality itself was actually illegal in Soviet Union, and yet they hosted Olympics in 1980.

Because the world has become more civilized in the past 33 years.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Why is this time different?  Homosexuality itself was actually illegal in Soviet Union, and yet they hosted Olympics in 1980.

For that matter, also in Atlanta in 1996.

But I think there has been a significant change in public opinion on this topic the last 15 years. You now have many countries where openly gay athletes feel comfortable competing, and there are some ethical issues with forcing them to compete in a place that is intolerant.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Surely gay people can boycott the Olympics.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 03:12:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 03:08:01 PM

Not heard of those places, they're where some of the oil and gas we us comes from.

Since Grumblers not in the thread, I see we'll just have to make do with you:

I mean wtf to this sentence - "Not heard of those places, they're where some of the oil and gas we us comes from. "

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 03:18:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 07, 2013, 03:12:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2013, 03:08:01 PM

Since Grumblers not in the thread, I see we'll just have to make do with you:

I mean wtf to this sentence - "Not heard of those places, they're where some of the oil and gas we us comes from. "

My suggestion to you is, if you're genuinely concerned about gay rights in other countries, then as an act of brotherly solidarity, you don't use your car on one in twenty or ten of your daily commutes and instead take public transport. 

That way you're sending a clear message that you're economically boycotting these regimes and reducing yours and America's reliance on their exports.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Yes the old canard of saying that you have to support every cause otherwise it is hypocritical to support any.

At any rate, I accept your challenge. I take public transport as the general rule. :)

Jacob

Because they've gone on record as saying that they'll enforce their newly enacted anti-homosexual propaganda laws on visitors and athletes at the games.

Jacob

Normally with mongers vs garbon I tend to back mongers, but this time I have to give it to garbon.

mongers, you're being silly.

Richard Hakluyt

I think this general trend is very interesting. In the old days, say a 100 years ago, Western cultural superiority led to racism against lesser countries. Over time we started to disapprove of all that and "cultural imperialism" became a dirty phrase.

But now it has come back in a new form where feminists and LGBT equality campaigners are in the vanguard of efforts to make some countries more civilised  :hmm:

The Brain

Didn't the Olympics people themselves plan to ban wrestling from the summer games?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

That's a poorly conceived boycott mongers.  The Gulf states would not know they were being boycotted.  If you somehow managed to get the whole world on board, it would impact non-Gulf producers as well.  Even more so, since the cheapest oil to pump is in the Gulf.

Besides, what kind of principled message are you sending by cutting consumption of a morally tainted product by 5%?