Starving the Beast: De-Funding the American Government 1970-Present

Started by Jacob, August 01, 2013, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weijun

Quote from: Valmy on August 02, 2013, 07:56:58 AM
Quote from: Weijun on August 02, 2013, 02:12:40 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 04:24:56 PM
When you carve out entitlement spending, federal spending/GDP is lower now than it was in 1970, 1980, or 1990.  It reached its lowest point during the Clinton years.
Why would you carve out entitlement spending?

Maybe because it tends to fluctuate due to things not connected to spending policies?  Like we have more old people now, so more spending on entitlements to the elderly, but not because we actually passed a bill increasing elderly benefits.  Just a guess.
...and how does that have any bearing on whether federal is excessive and unsustainable?  If anything, that mandatory spending is a larger portion of the federal budget makes the situation worse, not better.

Razgovory

Quote from: Weijun on August 06, 2013, 01:44:36 AM
When you carve out entitlement spending, federal spending/GDP is lower now than it was in 1970, 1980, or 1990.  It reached its lowest point during the Clinton years.

Maybe because it tends to fluctuate due to things not connected to spending policies?  Like we have more old people now, so more spending on entitlements to the elderly, but not because we actually passed a bill increasing elderly benefits.  Just a guess.
...and how does that have any bearing on whether federal is excessive and unsustainable?  If anything, that mandatory spending is a larger portion of the federal budget makes the situation worse, not better.

Cause congress has little control over it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Weijun

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2013, 02:13:17 AM

Congress has little political will to reform entitlements, but it certainly has the power to do so.

Ideologue

Quote from: Scipio on August 02, 2013, 08:17:15 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 06:14:47 PM
So really on some key items were are not spending enough.

Concur.  However:

Quote1) the US spends more than any other peer nation on defense and security, by a very wide margin.

What is a "peer nation" in this context?  The takeaway here is not simply that we are inefficient at defense (though we are, and I have outlined a strategy to reduce defense spending by 90% or more and still maintain total military dominance :) ), but that America has far greater military obligations than, say, Austria.
The Arthur Bomber Harris plan, right?

Not at all.  I'm indifferent to what time of day we strike.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Weijun on August 06, 2013, 02:31:10 AM

Congress has little political will to reform entitlements, but it certainly has the power to do so.

I mean, the money is essentially already spent.  It's required by law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Weijun

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2013, 03:23:15 AM
Quote from: Weijun on August 06, 2013, 02:31:10 AM

Congress has changed the eligibility requirements and benefits promised numerous times since the 1930s.  It simply takes legislation to change it again.  Aside from lack of political will, what is stopping congress from restricting eligibility (e.g. raising the retirement age) and reducing payments (e.g. scaling back COLA, a change to SSI from the 1970s)?  Medicare Part D was in enacted in 2006 and SCHIP was expanded in 2009.  These are hardly part of the fabric of the Republic.

I understand the point that Congress much actively pass an act to curtail runaway entitlement spending.  However, that does not make entitlements separate from the issue of federal spending and the size of the government; they are central to it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2013, 03:23:15 AM

The Supreme Court ruled way back that Social Security is not a debt that can be sued for.

Like Wiejun said, Social Security pays out whatever we say it pays out and collects whatever we say it collects.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on August 02, 2013, 08:59:25 AM
Quote from: Scipio on August 02, 2013, 08:17:15 AM
The Arthur Bomber Harris plan, right?

It was something wackadoodle like that.  Ide is a better lawyer than a military thinker.

Are you saying he should stick to movie reviews?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?