Started by Jacob, August 01, 2013, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2013, 02:44:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2013, 02:41:47 PM
Have you read the article?

Yeah. Did you understand my question?

Not sure I did.

The thesis (not saying I agree with it mind) appears to be: repulicans hope to screw "big government" by making tax cuts (popular), but not spending cuts (unpopular). The idea, allegedly, is to drive the government into the ground, fiscally, so far that it breaks, after which the republicans can impose "small government" by pointing to the wreakage (that they themselves caused) and saying 'see? big government leads to disaster. We need small government - vote for us'.

If this is the plan, you would expect spending to stay the same, right up to the point the government effectively collapses. The "plan" hasn't "worked" yet, because the government hasn't collapsed ... yet.

Of course, the theory is subject to the usual 'ascribing to malice what is better ascribed to incompetence or short-sightedness' problem ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 02:50:16 PM
The point of the article is that the starving plan ISN'T working, because the GOP doesn't have the cahones to carry it out.

Not what I get out of the article - seems to me he's just saying it hasn't worked - yet.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

If by beast they mean the American poor, the GOP seem on target:

House Republicans to push $40 billion cut to food stamp program.

By Charles Abbott

WASHINGTON | Thu Aug 1, 2013 2:19pm EDT

(Reuters) - House Republicans plan to propose a $40 billion cut to the nation's food stamp program, the head of the House Agriculture Committee said on Thursday, doubling the number of cuts previously sought by conservatives.

Committee Chairman Frank Lucas said legislation on the food assistance program, known as SNAP, would be the second part of any talks on the U.S. farm bill with the Senate.

Lucas told lobbyists during a lunch speech in Washington that a Republican working group agreed on cuts expected to total $40 billion and could include steps such as mandatory drugs tests and employment rules.

Rest of item here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/01/us-usa-congress-foodstamps-idUSBRE97012420130801
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2013, 03:03:38 PM

House Republicans to push $40 billion cut to food stamp program.

By Charles Abbott

WASHINGTON | Thu Aug 1, 2013 2:19pm EDT

(Reuters) - House Republicans plan to propose a $40 billion cut to the nation's food stamp program, the head of the House Agriculture Committee said on Thursday, doubling the number of cuts previously sought by conservatives.

Committee Chairman Frank Lucas said legislation on the food assistance program, known as SNAP, would be the second part of any talks on the U.S. farm bill with the Senate.

Lucas told lobbyists during a lunch speech in Washington that a Republican working group agreed on cuts expected to total $40 billion and could include steps such as mandatory drugs tests and employment rules.

Rest of item here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/01/us-usa-congress-foodstamps-idUSBRE97012420130801

That would put it back to where it was before the stimulus, mongers. I think it was the plan to bring it back.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2013, 03:07:23 PM
That would put it back to where it was before the stimulus, mongers. I think it was the plan to bring it back.

Yesterday's charity is today's inalienable right.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 03:14:56 PM

It might be too soon, you know.  :P

It should be done when it makes sense.

frunk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2013, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 03:14:56 PM

It might be too soon, you know.  :P

It should be done when it makes sense.

Kind of like the Bush tax cuts.  The government is really lousy at doing temporary change.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 02:50:16 PM
Krugman is wrong about all of this of course.  He is committing the elementary error of seeing a conspiracy in what can be ascribed to simple incompetence and disorganization.
I'm going to disagree with both.  I don't think there is a full-blown conspiracy out there.  However, I also don't think that this clusterfuck is entirely without intelligent design.  I think the strategy with tax cuts was much like the strategy with Obamacare:  get something enacted that would be hard to repeal, turn it into a fact on the ground, and make further favorable changes inevitable sometime down the road.  It's subtly different from Krugman's theory of starving the beast, but only subtly.

derspiess

A quick look at our poor will tell you they're far from starved.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2013, 02:34:49 PM
Spending has been fairly steady during the period in the title.

% of GDP:

1970: 30%
1980: 31%
1990: 32%
2000: 29%
2010: 40%

Where do these numbers come from and what forms of spending are included?
It must be including numbers other than federal because those figures have never gone above 25% during the period you selected.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

When you carve out entitlement spending, federal spending/GDP is lower now than it was in 1970, 1980, or 1990.  It reached its lowest point during the Clinton years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2013, 03:50:39 PM

A quick look at our poor will tell you they're far from starved.

You're advocating policy should be made on the basis of media stereotypes.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2013, 02:11:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2013, 01:01:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 12:58:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 01, 2013, 12:42:53 PM
Krugman wrote it so yeah, probably is wrong.

You just helped prove his point.   :D

Hey, don't be so harsh.  The conservative movement has spent a lot of time and energy training him to respond like that.

No, Krugman did that himself.  Particularly after that article a couple years ago in which he suggested preparing for alien attack as a means of boosting the economy.

Sigh. :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2013, 02:34:49 PM
Spending has been fairly steady during the period in the title.

% of GDP:

1970: 30%
1980: 31%
1990: 32%
2000: 29%
2010: 40%

Where do these numbers come from and what forms of spending are included?
It must be including numbers other than federal because those figures have never gone above 25% during the period you selected.

It was a very sloppy amalgam of things I saw when doing a google search for spending/gdp. Most of the graphs and charts that came up were pretty much the same.

Ed Anger

Prepare for alien attack? Put a taco under a box trap. Done.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive