Starving the Beast: De-Funding the American Government 1970-Present

Started by Jacob, August 01, 2013, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

It is interesting to look at federal spending since WW2 and peel out all the entitlements and defense spending.  Focus just on education, transportation, and other domestic discretionary spending.  What you see in fact is that such spending is at an all time post-war low in terms of %GDP.  There is a little blip in 2009 from the stimulus which took it back to just slightly above historical "normal" levels of spending on those categories.  Then it crashed back down to levels which aside from the Gingrich-Clinton years, have not been seen since Hoover.

McKinsey recently released a cross-country analysis of infrastructure spending gaps and the findings showed that the US has one of the larger gaps (I think the largest in total dollar amount).  So really on some key items were are not spending enough.

Spending is driven by the following facts:
1) the US spends more than any other peer nation on defense and security, by a very wide margin.
2)  the US government spends more on health care than typical peer nations despite having only a partial public system.  The US is grossly inefficient in terms of health care outcomes/$ spent.
3)  Public pension provision (social security) - no political party wants to touch this. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 06:14:47 PM
So really on some key items were are not spending enough.

Concur.  However:

Quote1) the US spends more than any other peer nation on defense and security, by a very wide margin.

What is a "peer nation" in this context?  The takeaway here is not simply that we are inefficient at defense (though we are, and I have outlined a strategy to reduce defense spending by 90% or more and still maintain total military dominance :) ), but that America has far greater military obligations than, say, Austria.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
What is a "peer nation" in this context?  The takeaway here is not simply that we are inefficient at defense (though we are, and I have outlined a strategy to reduce defense spending by 90% or more and still maintain total military dominance :) ), but that America has far greater military obligations than, say, Austria.

Europe and OECD countries in Asia and Latin America.
I am not claiming that such spending is unecessary or inefficient (it may be) only that it is higher.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2013, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 02:50:16 PM
Krugman is wrong about all of this of course.  He is committing the elementary error of seeing a conspiracy in what can be ascribed to simple incompetence and disorganization.
I'm going to disagree with both.  I don't think there is a full-blown conspiracy out there.  However, I also don't think that this clusterfuck is entirely without intelligent design.  I think the strategy with tax cuts was much like the strategy with Obamacare:  get something enacted that would be hard to repeal, turn it into a fact on the ground, and make further favorable changes inevitable sometime down the road.  It's subtly different from Krugman's theory of starving the beast, but only subtly.

I'm not seeing a conspiracy,  After all it's not much of a conspiracy when you announce your plans.  It's simply a strategy to achieve a certain policy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Weijun

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 04:24:56 PM
When you carve out entitlement spending, federal spending/GDP is lower now than it was in 1970, 1980, or 1990.  It reached its lowest point during the Clinton years.
Why would you carve out entitlement spending?

Valmy

Quote from: Weijun on August 02, 2013, 02:12:40 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 04:24:56 PM
When you carve out entitlement spending, federal spending/GDP is lower now than it was in 1970, 1980, or 1990.  It reached its lowest point during the Clinton years.
Why would you carve out entitlement spending?

Maybe because it tends to fluctuate due to things not connected to spending policies?  Like we have more old people now, so more spending on entitlements to the elderly, but not because we actually passed a bill increasing elderly benefits.  Just a guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2013, 06:14:47 PM
So really on some key items were are not spending enough.

Concur.  However:

Quote1) the US spends more than any other peer nation on defense and security, by a very wide margin.

The Arthur Bomber Harris plan, right?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on August 02, 2013, 08:17:15 AM
The Arthur Bomber Harris plan, right?

It was something wackadoodle like that.  Ide is a better lawyer than a military thinker.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!