US to close embassies over security fears

Started by Savonarola, August 02, 2013, 11:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

And what better way to celebrate the end of the holy month then by blowing up an embassy:

US to close embassies over security fears

Unspecified number of embassies around the world will suspend operations on Sunday as "precautionary" step.
Last Modified: 02 Aug 2013 16:07 

The United States has said it will close an unspecified number of embassies around the world on Sunday over security concerns.

State department spokeswoman Marie Harf on Thursday called the step "precautionary" but declined to specify the threat or list which missions would be closed.

But a senior state department official later told reporters they were those that would normally have been open on Sunday, including several US missions in predominantly Muslim countries such as Egypt and Iraq.

"The Department of State has instructed certain US embassies and consulates to remain closed or to suspend operations on Sunday, August 4," Harf told reporters.

The decision was taken "out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others who may be visiting our installations," she said.

US caution

Harf said that the embassies would be closed specifically on Sunday, with an assessment afterwards on whether to reopen them.

"It is possible we may have additional days of closing as well," she said.

Harf declined to specify from which part of the world the threat was detected.

Government offices are nearly always closed in the US on Sunday, which is the start of the work week in many Muslim-majority countries.

The US has been especially cautious about security since an attack on its consulate in Benghazi, Libya on September 11 last year.

The attack killed four Americans, including ambassador Chris Stevens, and led critics in Congress to accuse the state department of insufficient security.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The US State Department site has the full list of embassies:

U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

U.S. Embassy Algiers, Algeria

U.S. Embassy Amman, Jordan

U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq

U.S. Embassy Cairo, Egypt

U.S. Consulate Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

U.S. Embassy Djibouti, Djibouti

U.S. Embassy Dhaka, Bangladesh 

U.S. Embassy Doha, Qatar

U.S. Consulate Dubai, United Arab Emirates

U.S. Consulate Erbil, Iraq

U.S. Consulate Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan

U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan

U.S. Embassy Kuwait City, Kuwait

U.S. Embassy Manama, Bahrain

U.S. Embassy Muscat, Oman

U.S. Embassy Nouakchott, Mauritania 

U.S. Embassy Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

U.S. Embassy Sana'a, Yemen

U.S. Embassy Tripoli, Libya

I also see they put Saudi Arabia on the Travel Advisory list last week.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

One would think Ramadan, with all the fasting and partying, would be a relatively safe month out there.  Algeria kind of catches me by surprise, why it while Tunisia and Morocco remain safe?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on August 02, 2013, 12:03:24 PM
One would think Ramadan, with all the fasting and partying, would be a relatively safe month out there. 

It's the opposite, the gathering crowds for the partying provides plenty of targets and the religious mood of the month provides plenty of martyrs.  That's one reason why this past month in Iraq was the deadliest since the end of the surge.

QuoteAlgeria kind of catches me by surprise, why it while Tunisia and Morocco remain safe?

I don't know about Algeria.  Morocco didn't seem particularly religious to me when I was there.  All the madrassas shut down at the end of the colonial period (and besides the French are the hated westerners.)  It is a surprise that Tunisia isn't on the list given the recent assassination of some of their liberal politicians.

Sheilbh

One would think Ramadan, with all the fasting and partying, would be a relatively safe month out there.
Not the same sort of thing but I was in Morocco during Ramadan and it was pretty fractious. It was during September, which was hot, and people couldn't drink, eat or smoke all day. I saw at least one fight kick off every day. Normally early evening as people were heading home for food. I think it's understandable that by that time everyone's just a bit pissed off and on edge.

QuoteAlgeria kind of catches me by surprise, why it while Tunisia and Morocco remain safe?
Tunisia's an interesting exception giving the problems they've had. Morocco makes sense, very strong secret police tend to keep extremists on a very tight leash.

I'm more surprised by Bangladesh being on what looks like a very Arab-world list, but, say, Pakistan isn't on the list.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

"I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The Tet holiday's like the Fourth of July, Christmas and New Year all rolled into one. Every zipperhead in Nam, North and South, will be banging gongs, barking at the moon and visiting his dead relatives."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well that was different as it was carried out by Godless Commies to whom nothing is sacred.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I thought Algeria was deteriorating. Maybe it's not so bad now since their southern jihadis went to Mali, but I was under the impression they was a civil war just under the surface that could bubble up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

OMG BENGHAZI IS NOT ON THE LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 02, 2013, 02:11:56 PM
OMG BENGHAZI IS NOT ON THE LIST !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully there will be an investigation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I something happens, it proves that Obama is incompetent.  If nothing happens it also proves Obama is incompetent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2013, 02:41:20 PM
I something happens, it proves that Obama is incompetent.  If nothing happens it also proves Obama is incompetent.

If nothing happened then PRISM worked.  America is saved.

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on August 02, 2013, 02:46:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2013, 02:41:20 PM

If nothing happened then PRISM worked.  America is saved.

Nope, just is Obama wasting tax payer money jumping at shadows.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017