Italy court confirms jail term for Berlusconi

Started by Savonarola, August 01, 2013, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Since this is the naval thread, what do you guys all think of Japan's new "it's a self-defence ship with a flight deck but it's not a carrier"? How do you rate it, how does it change the dynamic in the area?

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23594519 (the BBC calls it a "Battleship" :) )

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on August 06, 2013, 03:29:54 PM
Since this is the naval thread, what do you guys all think of Japan's new "it's a self-defence ship with a flight deck but it's not a carrier"? How do you rate it, how does it change the dynamic in the area?

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23594519 (the BBC calls it a "Battleship" :) )

Other than its use for popping Chinese subs, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

It wouldn't carry many f-35's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

If I was a Chinese admiral, I'd worry more about the 7th fleet coming in and assraping me for fucking with Japan.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 06, 2013, 03:29:54 PM

It doesn't really change the dynamic;  like Ed says, it's simply another step in the evolution of Japan's overall ASW strategy and that's nothing new to the Japanese, who are simply countering the Chinese developments in increasing their submarine capabilities.  I think more importantly, it offers a nice platform for increased international participation in humanitarian disaster response, which is something the last several governments have wanted to see develop.

Good for the JMSDF.  Little baddasses.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 06, 2013, 04:43:40 PM
If I was a Chinese admiral, I'd worry more about the 7th fleet coming in and assraping me for fucking with Japan.

Interesting analysis in FP this week on the continued development of the AirSeaBattle doctrine, and how it could increase the potential for war with China. 
After all, with its emphasis on the traditional US philosophy of forward power projection and the Joint Operational Access Concept designed to roll back an opponent's multiple layers of sea lane anti-access/anti-denial in depth, it's specifically designed for the little bastards.
While I don't think it increases the potential for war on the US' part--I place that burden of responsibility solely on the Chinese--the one thing about that strategy that needs to be taken into consideration is that it could very well necessitate strikes on Chinese soil to degrade those assets, and that elevates any potential conflict scenario to a whole new ballgame in a much bigger fucking ballpark.

Neil

I approve of the new Japanese helicopter carrier.  It's pretty comparable in size to the Japanese fleet carriers of WWII.  There's a lot of need by the Japanese for ASW capacity, what with the high potential for armed conflict with China.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.