What's Wrong With American Business Culture And The Economy?

Started by fhdz, July 31, 2013, 01:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 01:33:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2013, 01:31:25 PMUnions in North America would also have to change to the German model for this to work.  An even harder sell I would think.

Yeah, for sure; it would require something of a cultural shift.
Well, that's what this thread is about, right?

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2013, 01:30:33 PM
Quote from: fhdz on August 01, 2013, 01:01:51 PM
He isn't going to get it, dude. If you can't fit it on a spreadsheet Guller can't wrap his brain around it.
It's that time of the month again, eh? :console:

Yep, it's that time of the month where dealing with Asberger-y robo-drones just isn't going to cut it for me. Sorry :console:
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Zanza on August 01, 2013, 01:51:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 01, 2013, 01:33:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2013, 01:31:25 PMUnions in North America would also have to change to the German model for this to work.  An even harder sell I would think.

Yeah, for sure; it would require something of a cultural shift.
Well, that's what this thread is about, right?

:hug:

And actually the German union model is *preferable* in a lot of ways to the American model. There's a lot less corruption in the German model, for starters.

Admiral Yi

Zanza:  labor can join or walk away at will.  Your system gives them a voice in the disposition of someone else's property without a reciprocating surrender of control over their own labor.

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on August 01, 2013, 02:00:33 PM
He isn't going to get it, dude. If you can't fit it on a spreadsheet Guller can't wrap his brain around it.

Yep, it's that time of the month where dealing with Asberger-y robo-drones just isn't going to cut it for me. Sorry :console:
:hmm: You don't have to deal with me if you don't want to.  But part of not dealing with me is not taking histrionic potshots at me from the sidelines.  That's also just good adult manners on top of it.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2013, 02:08:42 PM
Quote from: fhdz on August 01, 2013, 02:00:33 PM

:hmm: You don't have to deal with me if you don't want to.  But part of not dealing with me is not taking histrionic potshots at me from the sidelines.  That's also just good adult manners on top of it.

I may be a lot of things, but histrionic isn't one of them. :D

And you want to talk about "manners"? On Languish? Where you yourself also take potshots on a regular basis? Give me a fucking break, dude. :lol:

If you make a comment which shows that you lack an understanding of basic marketing principles or anything beyond a corporation's bottom line being beneficial for the corporation, you are going to get called on it. Simple. :sleep:

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:03:54 PM
Zanza:  labor can join or walk away at will.  Your system gives them a voice in the disposition of someone else's property without a reciprocating surrender of control over their own labor.

You presume that employees, in general, can find a replacement job as quickly as an employer could find a replacement employee. Given the job market, it's much more likely for an employee to put up with employers' crap (unpaid overtime, no pay raises, cutback of benefits ...) than for an employer to put up with an employee's crap. This is not an balanced relationship.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on August 01, 2013, 02:11:16 PM
You presume that employees, in general, can find a replacement job as quickly as an employer could find a replacement employee. Given the job market, it's much more likely for an employee to put up with employers' crap (unpaid overtime, no pay raises, cutback of benefits ...) than for an employer to put up with an employee's crap. This is not an balanced relationship.

I do not presume that.  I presume that an employee is free to dispose of his time and labor as he sees fit.

fhdz

Quote from: HVC on August 01, 2013, 02:12:40 PM
God fearing fhdz was nicer :yes:

:P

:P

I'm getting increasingly sick of dealing with people who think economics is a science rather than an art.

DOES NOT COMPUTE IN EXCEL MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ARGUMENT BEEP BEEP BOOP

Admiral Yi

A discipline with predictive power is a science; a discipline that creates narratives is a humanity.  Economics has predictive power, ergo it is a science.

Of course many disciplines combine the two.  I'm thinking of political science in particular.

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on August 01, 2013, 02:10:29 PM
I may be a lot of things, but histrionic isn't one of them. :D
Evidently, self-aware isn't one of them either.
QuoteAnd you want to talk about "manners"? On Languish? Where you yourself also take potshots on a regular basis? Give me a fucking break, dude. :lol:
I don't suffer fools gladly, but I don't piggyback off other people actually trying to have a discussing in order to take a potshot from the sideline.  That's the bitchy part I called you out on.
QuoteIf you make a comment which shows that you lack an understanding of basic marketing principles or anything beyond a corporation's bottom line being beneficial for the corporation, you are going to get called on it. Simple. :sleep:
Nah, you just insulted me for no reason, again and again.  I don't know what the fuck is wrong with you, but I'm not it, so don't take it out on me.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:17:39 PM
A discipline with predictive power is a science; a discipline that creates narratives is a humanity.  Economics has predictive power, ergo it is a science.

I am not shocked that you feel this way :)

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2013, 02:20:23 PM
I don't suffer fools gladly, but I don't piggyback off other people actually trying to have a discussing in order to take a potshot from the sideline.  That's the bitchy part I called you out on.

1) It's my thread.
2) You posted a comment in response to my comment, which was merely an articulation of Ford's own position and philosophy.
3) Your comment indicated that Ford's philosophy "didn't work", when in fact it most clearly did. You based your comment on an incomplete assessment of economic value.
4) This is Languish. Get over it or get somewhere more comfortable.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:03:54 PM
Yes, in principle. That's a choice society can make. Corporations as a legal construct are what society through its political process makes of them.

One thing that might be wrong about American business culture and the economy (see thread title) is that employees as stakeholders in corporations do not get enough representation in corporate governance. I do not advocate that you adopt our system. I merely don't think that corporations have an evident self-interest as DGuller stated and that there are more relevant stakeholders to a corporation than just the shareholders.