What's Wrong With American Business Culture And The Economy?

Started by fhdz, July 31, 2013, 01:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:17:39 PM
A discipline with predictive power is a science; a discipline that creates narratives is a humanity.  Economics has predictive power, ergo it is a science.

Of course many disciplines combine the two.  I'm thinking of political science in particular.

It is the fledgling attempts at a science, roughly equivalent to pre-Newtonian Physics, but it doesn't have close to the predictive power of the hard sciences.  Physics, Chemistry, Biology, even Geology all have a lot more decimal places than the "order of magnitude" predictive power of Economics.  I'd call it closer to Political Science than any of the above.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:14:22 PM
I do not presume that.  I presume that an employee is free to dispose of his time and labor as he sees fit.

In theory, yes. He can become a vagrant without job, too.

Still, employers have more leverage over employees than vice versa.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on August 01, 2013, 02:25:44 PM
I merely don't think that corporations have an evident self-interest as DGuller stated and that there are more relevant stakeholders to a corporation than just the shareholders.

Well sure.  And capital is a stakeholder in employee decisions, and capital and labor are both stakeholders in customer decisions.  Everybody is a stakeholder in everything.

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on August 01, 2013, 02:25:07 PM
Your comment indicated that Ford's philosophy "didn't work", when in fact it most clearly did. You based your comment on an incomplete assessment of economic value.
That would've been a really interesting point to expound upon.  :hmm:  Beyond the "Lol, you idiot, you so, so dumb. :XD:", that is.

fhdz

Quote from: frunk on August 01, 2013, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:17:39 PM
A discipline with predictive power is a science; a discipline that creates narratives is a humanity.  Economics has predictive power, ergo it is a science.

Of course many disciplines combine the two.  I'm thinking of political science in particular.

It is the fledgling attempts at a science, roughly equivalent to pre-Newtonian Physics, but it doesn't have close to the predictive power of the hard sciences.  Physics, Chemistry, Biology, even Geology all have a lot more decimal places than the "order of magnitude" predictive power of Economics.  I'd call it closer to Political Science than any of the above.

:yes: Especially macroeconomics.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Totally agree that it doesn't have the precision of the hard sciences, but i argue that that is a function of the field being studied (human behavior) rather than a limitation of the discipline.  Humans have wills and idiosincracies (sp?) and irrationalities that will never be captured 100% by cause and effect models.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:32:09 PM
I merely don't think that corporations have an evident self-interest as DGuller stated and that there are more relevant stakeholders to a corporation than just the shareholders.

Well sure.  And capital is a stakeholder in employee decisions, and capital and labor are both stakeholders in customer decisions.  Everybody is a stakeholder in everything.
Yes. Now we just need to define how we want each group of stakeholders to participate in corporate governance. I don't see it as evident that shareholders should be the only stakeholders participating in that.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:40:03 PM

Totally agree that it doesn't have the precision of the hard sciences, but i argue that that is a function of the field being studied (human behavior) rather than a limitation of the discipline.  Humans have wills and idiosincracies (sp?) and irrationalities that will never be captured 100% by cause and effect models.
It's also a function of the fact that politics are intertwined with this science.  Astronomy was pretty hard to get right as well when it had a political side to it.

frunk

That explains its inaccuracies, it doesn't explain why we should put much trust in it.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on August 01, 2013, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:32:09 PM

Yes. Now we just need to define how we want each group of stakeholders to participate in corporate governance. I don't see it as evident that shareholders should be the only stakeholders participating in that.
Help me pin down your position here.  Would your argument still hold if instead of a corporation, you had a really large partnership with no limited liability?  Are employees the steakholders with a vote because they're citizens of a country that grants a limited liability status to the corporation, or is it simply because they're employed by said company?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2013, 02:03:54 PM
Zanza:  labor can join or walk away at will.

Well capital can also join or walk away at will if they do not like the setup.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on August 01, 2013, 02:43:34 PM

If you agree that everyone has a stake in everyone else, and that stakholderdom is what entitles a say in decisions, why is it only corporate decisions that you treat this way?  Why don't stakeholders get a voice in the decisions of employees and customers as well?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2013, 02:49:27 PM
Well capital can also join or walk away at will if they do not like the setup.

Sure.  And who gets to decide if it joins or walks away.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2013, 02:43:57 PM

It's also a function of the fact that politics are intertwined with this science.  Astronomy was pretty hard to get right as well when it had a political side to it.

Astronomy doesn't really have the same kind of impact on the lives of human beings as economics does. It also contains no choice, whereas in economics one can choose what is important and make one's decisions accordingly. 

fhdz

That's also precisely why there's a lot more narrative being constructed in economics than true scientific prediction. There's certainly a lot more narrative vs. prediction than a lot of economists and risk professionals would like to admit.