What's Wrong With American Business Culture And The Economy?

Started by fhdz, July 31, 2013, 01:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

The current most powerful tool in economics is Paul Krugman.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2013, 04:01:27 PM
The most powerful tool in economics is regression analysis, which a spreadsheet can't handle.

Not to mention the fact that people, who make economic decisions, are not always (perhaps rarely) rational actors.

Quote(Although some prominent economist once made the quip that the most useful tool in economics is long division.)

:D Funny.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2013, 04:01:27 PM
The most powerful tool in economics is regression analysis, which a spreadsheet can't handle.

(Although some prominent economist once made the quip that the most useful tool in economics is long division.)

You can run regressions in Excel, but the functionality is pretty limited compared to packages like Stata.
Some of the empirical econ guys would say natural experiments are more powerful than regressions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I thought Fahdiz was going to demonstrate something using a spreadsheet and then prove it wrong using other evidence. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017