News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Succession

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 29, 2013, 06:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The Econ blogs have been all aflutter the last 2 weeks since Obama first floated Larry Summers as a possible successor to Bernanke.  The predominant reaction started out lukewarm and went down from there as people combed the record for Summers' prior monetary positions.  Interestingly, the anti-Summers position (and its usually flip side, pro Janet Yellen) appears to cross ideological boundaries, uniting the Krugmanites with the neo-monetarists.

As far as I can tell, no one has surfaced with a full-throated defense of Summers, which I suppose not surprising given the controversy that surrounds him.  Personally, I think Summers is terrific in a lot of ways, and yet I agree that he would be a much less than optimal Fed chair.

The opposition to Yellen, on the other hand, appears to arise from the following groups.
1)  Goldbugs
2)  Austrians
3)  Ignoramuses

As an example of the latter category, take this editorial from the reliably execrable New York Sun.  It is one of the worse pieces of editorial journalism I have every had the misfortune to read:  http://www.nysun.com/editorials/the-female-dollar/88357/

QuoteWhat is the world to make of the fact that as America approaches the 100th anniversary of the Fed the big question is whether the next chairman will be a woman? The Times headline is, "In Tug of War Over New Fed Leader, Some Gender Undertones." It characterizes the battle to succeed Ben Bernanke, who is widely expected to depart after his current term, as being between Mrs. Yellen, a former president of the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank, and Lawrence Summers, an acolyte of Treasury Secretary Rubin. Or, as the Times puts it, "between the California girls and the Rubin boys."

Are we entering the era of the gender-backed dollar? We don't discount the issue of discrimination against women in America or the importance of cracking the glass ceilings. Your editor has spent a career cheering on high octane women. But what good is a gender-backed dollar going to do in an era of fiat money? The debate about the next Fed chairman has been conducted absent any attention to the question of whether America, or the world, is being well-served by a system in which the nation's money is convertible into nothing other than other pieces of fiat money.

We know how we are going to measure Mr. Bernanke's performance — by the value of the dollar entrusted to his care by the Congress. He may reclaim things between now and the end of his tenure in office, but as things now stand his tenure has been a disaster. The value of the dollar, at but a 1,333rd of an ounce of gold, is substantially less than half of the 568th of an ounce of gold it was valued at on the day Mr. Bernanke acceded to the chairmanship of the Fed. Would this record have been any better were he a woman? Where does that leave Governor Yellen?

The Times characterizes her as "one of three female friends, all former or current professors at the University of California, Berkeley, who have broken into the male-dominated business of advising presidents on economic policy." The other members of the triumvirate are Christina Romer, who headed President Obama's first Council of Economic Advisers, and Laura D'Andrea Tyson, who had the same post under President Clinton. None of them, in so far as we're aware, has made it her business to plump for an end to the system of fiat money.

. . .
As the 100th anniversary of the Fed approaches the Joint Economic Committee of the Congress has been nursing a bill to establish a Centennial Monetary Commission. The idea would be to make a formal assessment of the Fed as it commences its second century. It struck us as a terrific idea, but the prognosis it is given from the Web site govtrack.us is a 14% chance of getting out of committee and a 2% chance of being enacted. Maybe the Joint Economic Committee could expand its bill to take in the question of whether the collapse of the dollar follows from the fact that it has been managed for the past century by men. It could be that Thurber was onto something.

The Sun's grotesquely patronizing and inane invocation of gender in this context does inadvertantly highlight a pertinent fact: two of the most eminently qualified candidates for the job -- Yellen and Christy Romer -- happen to women.  Both more so than Summers who despite his unquestionable intelligence and broad experience is far from being an expert in monetary economics.  Of course it doesn't help that the Sun begins from the obviously false premise the the purpose of the Fed is to defend the value of the currency.  I suppose they are offended that a woman (of all genders) would not be as dazzled by the glint of gold as the mental midgets that populate their editorial board.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I'm not saying that we should put people in camps, but if we were going to start putting people into camps, a professed belief in "hard money" would be a good category to start with.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Bernanke and Obama are praying that shit doesn't happen until after their successors take over.

sbr

Anyone could say that about anyone.  Or do you have some particular "shit" in mind?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2013, 06:59:40 PM
The Sun's grotesquely patronizing and inane invocation of gender in this context does inadvertantly highlight a pertinent fact: two of the most eminently qualified candidates for the job -- Yellen and Christy Romer -- happen to women.  Both more so than Summers who despite his unquestionable intelligence and broad experience is far from being an expert in monetary economics.  Of course it doesn't help that the Sun begins from the obviously false premise the the purpose of the Fed is to defend the value of the currency.  I suppose they are offended that a woman (of all genders) would not be as dazzled by the glint of gold as the mental midgets that populate their editorial board.

But it's not a traditional gender role, MM.  DERFETUS GIVES IT  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Grallon

For the longest time I thought the Federal Reserve was a federal agency... Why isn't it the case?  I mean as screwed as a bureaucratic agency can be - it's always preferable to a private organization when it comes to a strategic role like monetary regulation no?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on July 29, 2013, 08:15:19 PM
For the longest time I thought the Federal Reserve was a federal agency... Why isn't it the case?  I mean as screwed as a bureaucratic agency can be - it's always preferable to a private organization when it comes to a strategic role like monetary regulation no?

The Fed's not a private organization.  It's a public organization with a public charter and a board appointed by the president.

It is, however, considered to be independent of the executive branch.  The rationale for this is to insulate the board from short-term political pressure to inflate away unemployment and/or inflate our way to growth.

Ideologue

Quote from: Grallon on July 29, 2013, 08:15:19 PM

G.

:unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Phillip V on July 29, 2013, 07:09:10 PM
Bernanke and Obama are praying that shit doesn't happen until after their successors take over.

As opposed to the previous 42 Presidents who prayed that everything would go wrong while they were in office.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2013, 10:26:00 PM

As opposed to the previous 42 Presidents who prayed that everything would go wrong while they were in office.

Be more specific.

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on July 29, 2013, 10:29:11 PM

Be more specific.

James Buchanan prayed that everything would go wrong, but he's pretty much the only one who did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2013, 11:20:38 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 29, 2013, 10:29:11 PM

Be more specific.

James Buchanan prayed that everything would go wrong, but he's pretty much the only one who did.
There are some that disagree with that assessment Good Sir.  :bowler:

http://books.google.co.kr/books?id=CHUxm1szwE0C&redir_esc=y
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Did you just reference a book published in 1866?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2013, 11:49:11 PM
Did you just reference a book published in 1866?
Take a look at who wrote that book. ;)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point